Rendering Complexity Study with Blender

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ekfcipher

Rendering Complexity Study with Blender

Post by ekfcipher » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:55 pm

Let me introduce myself. My name is Eryk Furman and I am a graduate student at Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, CT in the US. I am starting my thesis for my M.S. in Comp Sci. My thesis is a complexity study on the correlation between elements in a 3D scene. The ultimate goal is to try and derive a method of quantifying and scoring the complexity of a given scene which, hopefully, will correlate to an algorithm for calculating the computational power and or time required to render the given scene. My site explains this a bit further if any one is interested.

http://www.bulletprf.com/portal/documen ... sal.1.html

I am looking to be able to use blender, because of access to its subsystem and rendering code, to gather statistics for analysis. The following statistics are what I am looking to gather in my first phase.

Statistics such as number of CPU instructions per renderer (frame), number of renderer instructions per frame and maybe even per pixel, polygon statistics (not only polygon count but count per type of poly. Also, hierarchy information on the elements in the scene. These are just some for the first phase.

Any and all pointers or comments as to which source modules I might want to direct my attention to in order to modify code to gather / output certain statistics would be much appreciated. I have read a bit about the blender documentation project but have not found a repository. Any of you renderer developers out there probably know the system inside and out. Thank you all in advance for any and all assistance.

-Eryk