how to do an ice cube?

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Aenogym

how to do an ice cube?

Post by Aenogym » Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:54 pm

hi guys,
i'm new to blender, but i'm starting to really like it :D .

my question is: how to realize an ice cube?
my first problem is the shape: how can i dent it?
and my second problem is the material: how can i create a realistic-looking ice material?

thanks for your answers,
Aenogym

ray_theray

Post by ray_theray » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:15 pm

<First of all, questions about usage of Blender have a better chance at responses at www.elysiun.com - No harm, no foul though :wink: >
For the cube, I would start by adding a mesh cube, and then fractal subdivide each face a little. It could be smoothed out using subsurf.

For the material, it depends on how real you want it to be. You can use raytracing (add some RayMir and RayTrans, turn the Alpha down to around 0.3, darken the color and lighten the specular color and turn up the specularity).

I hope that gives you a start!
-ray_theray

Aenogym

Post by Aenogym » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:32 pm

i already downloaded yafray.
i'll try your solution for the shape.

thanks!
Aenogym

dcuny

Post by dcuny » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:07 pm

Just in case you weren't aware, Blender has a raytracer in it as well, so you can get raytraced transparency and reflections without Yafray.

In Scene mode (Press F10), make sure the Ray button is pressed. This activates ray tracing.

You still have to set the transparency and reflection attributes of the material. In Shading mode (press F5), choose the Material button (the red ball). The third group to the right has two tabs - Shaders and Mirror Transp. Click the Mirror Transp tab to bring up the material properties. Turn on Ray Mirror and Ray Transp.

Aenogym

Post by Aenogym » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:53 pm

yeah, i already did that. but i think blender's internal raytracer doesn't look as good as yafray. AND yafray is MUCH faster than blender's raytracer (especially with OSA on)!

Aenogym

Ringo7

Post by Ringo7 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:00 am

Aenogym wrote:yeah, i already did that. but i think blender's internal raytracer doesn't look as good as yafray. AND yafray is MUCH faster than blender's raytracer (especially with OSA on)!

Aenogym
I can't really agree on that, Aenogym, yafray takes forever on my system. Maybe it's something I'm doing (or not doing) but it's definately slower than the built in raytracer here.