RenderMan export progress since the Tuhopuu merge (20040702)

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

lancelet

RenderMan export progress since the Tuhopuu merge (20040702)

Post by lancelet »

Hi Everyone,

This is a cross-posting with a forum entry on the Aqsis website, but I thought that it would be of interest to people here. This is an update of my progress on the Aqsis RenderMan exporter since it was merged into Tuhopuu.

New features added:
- Deformation motion blur.
- Initial Makefile support (hos (Chris Want))
- Support of meshes with multiple materials.
- GUI improvements (still wip).
- Ability to call other renderers as well as Aqsis: Pixie, AIR, 3Delight, RenderDotC.
- RenderMan exposure controls (gain and gamma).
- Selection of shading interpolation type.
- Scene sanity checks prior to rendering.
- Debugging shaders to help diagnose scene problems.

Here's an Aqsis rendering of my little test model of Luxo:
As you can see, the quality of Aqsis as a renderer isn't quite as bad as people have claimed. It just needs the right settings...

Here's an example of deformation motion blur:
Rendered by AIR.

This is a scene rendered using Aqsis (it's the bones and a ligament from the distal limb of a horse):
The shader debugging options are available in a drop-down list combo box thingy:
Using these options, here's the scene with no shaders (Aqsis rendering):
show grids (Aqsis rendering):
show mist (essentially a z-buffer rendering, scaled to the mist settings if they are available - Aqsis rendering):
show normals (Aqsis rendering):
show uv (Aqsis rendering):

Here is part of the Blender demo scene called "lostride", showing a single mesh with multiple materials (Aqsis rendering):
As you can see, the mesh has correctly been split into a set of smaller meshes, each of which has only a single material applied. This is necessary because RenderMan only allows a single surface shader to be applied to any one primitive.

The above scene isn't quite rendering correctly (yet). Why? Well, some of the normals are messed up. Using the show normals debugging option, I get this rendering (Aqsis):
The areas shaded green have normals pointing towards the camera, whereas those shaded red have normals pointing away from the camera. This is an example of how the debug shaders will be useful in diagnosing problems.

All of these features are available in the Blender Tuhopuu repository. The exporter is still very much a work-in-progress, but it can do quite a lot now.

Jonathan Merritt.

birras

Post by birras »

wow---it is exiting to see wip getting better and better!!
you mentioned the ability to call other renderers as well, does this mean we could render directly from blender with aqsis and for scenes where raytrace is needed we could use/add this function with bmrt (it is dead but out there and legal to own/use it)....., without going through an ordeal of setting up?

bertram

Post by bertram »

{stunned}

This all happened sub rosa... ? Unbelievable!

Is anyone already busy making a Win32 build?

Thanks to all - this prospect on freedom in choice of renderers really rocks!

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

Hi lancelet, this is very cool. Good to here this code isnt Aqsis spesific and works with other renderers.

Pixie and 3dlight both look very good (REnder times are meant to be a heap better then aqsis) - But aqsis seems to have more of a blender like community (as well as the support of k3d) and its render times will improve over time?

I had a look at the pixie sourceforge forum and it didnt look as inactive as I had expected- Good luck with Aqsis anyway man.

cekuhnen

Post by cekuhnen »

i dont think so you can render in aqsis and raytrace in 3delight and get one image composed out of all three together.

doesnt mean it is impossible but you would have to make both render engines work together!

lancelet good work. but awesome work on the shader debugging! this si amazing stuff!

claas

UglyMike

Post by UglyMike »

In the Blender Foum on the Aqsis site, there is a test build of Blender Tuhopuu with Renderman integration (defaults to Aqsis, but Pixie et al are also there.) :D
Of course , you need an Aqsis installation too...

Haven't got it to work yet, but then I'm pretty limited in my capabilities so don't let that fact stop you :wink:

pgregory

Post by pgregory »

UglyMike wrote:In the Blender Foum on the Aqsis site, there is a test build of Blender Tuhopuu with Renderman integration (defaults to Aqsis, but Pixie et al are also there.) :D
Of course , you need an Aqsis installation too...
Not strictly true, you only need an Aqsis installation to build it, if you have a binary build, all the necessary stuff is linked in, so there is no requirement on Aqsis after that.

I should note here also, that the binary archive mentioned is for MacOSX, to my knowledge, no other recent binary builds are available yet.

Cheers

PaulG

manin666

Post by manin666 »

There are plans for ricurves?

UglyMike

Post by UglyMike »

Paul,

I'm not talking about Lancelet's build (which I haven't yet found), but about LG's build. I assure you it is for Windows and LG says that Aqsis needs to be in the path. As it is not included in the build, I'm assuming an external Aqsis installation...

pgregory

Post by pgregory »

UglyMike wrote:I'm not talking about Lancelet's build (which I haven't yet found), but about LG's build. I assure you it is for Windows and LG says that Aqsis needs to be in the path. As it is not included in the build, I'm assuming an external Aqsis installation...
You are quite correct, my mistake, LG's build is for Windows, not MacOSX. I can only assume that the requirement for Aqsis to be installed is for actually rendering. The integration will try to launch Aqsis (or the chosen renderer) to render the image after export. So if you plan to use a different renderer, there should be no need to have Aqsis installed.

Cheers

PaulG

gendou

Post by gendou »

what is the current progress of the intergration? I am using a windows build of Tuhopuu2 that has the Renderman drop-down but when rendering to Aqsis, blender crashes and there's no RIB file generated. What's this build that LG has? Does it work? If so, could someone please post a link to it so that us non-programmers can take a crack at it? I am trying to put some time into learning blender's tools since I caught wind of this integration and I'd like to try it out. However, I'm an artist, not a programmer, so I imagine many users would appreciate someone building this version and posting it for download.

thanks a lot for the hard work so far,
-gendou

UglyMike

Post by UglyMike »

Here's the link to LG's build....
http://www.zoo-logique.org/3D.Blender/i ... tions.php3

You need an Aqsis install and a couple of DLLs (See the Blender forum at www.aqsis.com, "Configuration of Blender")

Hopefully you'll have better luck than me

pgregory

Post by pgregory »

I have placed a very much W.I.P. Win32 installer that installs both Aqsis and Blender[Tuhopuu2] with Renderman integration on the Aqsis site at http://aqsis.sf.net/files/aqsis-blender-setup.exe.

There are three very important points to bear in mind before considering downloading this.
  1. I haven't tested this (the installer) very much at all, so you may well find problems with it, if you do, let me know and I will try and sort them as soon as I can.
  2. The version of Blender included is Tuhopuu2, and as such is very much development version, full of W.I.P. features that may well crash your machine and lose data, including the Renderman integration.
  3. The version of Aqsis included is similarly cutting edge, it is a snapshot of the current in development 0.9.2 version, and again as such is not qualified and may well contain bugs and partially implemented features.
Bottom line, you try this at your own risk, I will not accept any responsibility for any loss caused by the use of this download.

One more thing, while trying it out, I noticed that if the output directory for images (the Renderman output goes to this directory) is not setup to point to a valid location, the integration will crash. This might well be the problem that others have been seeing.

Cheers, and have fun.

PaulG

katharos

Post by katharos »

Hi, Renderman support is something that I have been very interested for ages, since Jan's work, then Green's work, and it seems that it is found its way into the mainstream development of Blender. My question is how long before it will be released into the standard Blender distribution. I would love to test and feedback on its functionality, but am hesitant to help too early on, as my programming skills are limited. Apart from the link above, how does one obtain a Tuhopuu with Renderman integration in it?

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

katharos wrote:Hi, Renderman support is something that I have been very interested for ages, since Jan's work, then Green's work, and it seems that it is found its way into the mainstream development of Blender. My question is how long before it will be released into the standard Blender distribution. I would love to test and feedback on its functionality, but am hesitant to help too early on, as my programming skills are limited. Apart from the link above, how does one obtain a Tuhopuu with Renderman integration in it?

What OS are yu using? - I have a linux script I use...

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
cd /
cd blender
cat ./blender > blender_back
cd /

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@@cvs.blender.org:/cvsroot/tuhopuu login < echo '' > /dev/null

cvs -z9 -d:pserver:anonymous@@cvs.blender.org:/cvsroot/tuhopuu login co blender > /d
cd blender

# # install without scons
# ./bootstrap
# make clean
# ./configure
# make
# make install

scons
strip -s ./blender

# make docs
echo "making docs"
cd ./source/blender/python/api2_2x/doc/