Great job on the 2.34 improvements, but there's still more..

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

A2597

Great job on the 2.34 improvements, but there's still more..

Post by A2597 »

First off, GREAT job on all the improvments in Blender 2.34. MASSIVE leap forward. but there are still a few things I'd like to see for the internal renderer...

First off, and this is a big one....glowing materials. No, not the Bloom effect from spectacular lighting, real glowing materials.

Second, DOF in blender. no tricks needed. just set a focus point for the camera and voila, done. I was talking to a lightwave user who was impressed by how far blender was coming, and when he found he blender still lacked DOF he ended the conversation laughing harder then the Joker...

And third, and the last one that comes readily to mind....
Halo's and Lens flares...currently I'm using crappy Photochop lens flares for suns and flares for the simple reason that blenders lens flares are worse then ones that existed in games 5 years ago. They REALLY need work.

Other then that, great GREAT work on the renderer guys! Keep it up!
The man with his head stuck in the Blender.

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

1: yAFRAY DOES dof VERY WELL- so blender can do dof

A2597

Post by A2597 »

*Cough*
"Internal renderer"
*cough*

Besides, what blender renders just fine in 20 minutes takes 20 months (Exaggerated) for Yafray to render.... :D
The man with his head stuck in the Blender.

z3r0_d

Re: Great job on the 2.34 improvements, but there's still mo

Post by z3r0_d »

A2597 wrote:First off, and this is a big one....glowing materials. No, not the Bloom effect from spectacular lighting, real glowing materials.
what?
do you mean something which can't be done with radiosity and an emit value?

edit: http://www.geocities.com/z3r0_d/files/goodExample.png
[see the glowing purple cube on the right?]
[that mesh is pretty low poly, the results can be a lot better]

or do you mean the flaw of film cameras type of glow:
http://www.explosivelabs.com/reviews/at ... /real3.jpg [just right of the orange sphere, the glow from the sky creating full brightness...]
A2597 wrote:Second, DOF in blender. no tricks needed. just set a focus point for the camera and voila, done. I was talking to a lightwave user who was impressed by how far blender was coming, and when he found he blender still lacked DOF he ended the conversation laughing harder then the Joker...
you can get a lot more control the way currently dof is possible

last I heard yafray uses a zblur like technique, which while nice looking and fast has several glitches

being able to move the camera can also give you extreme amounts of blur [at cost of increased rendering time], and there are ways to combine more than 16 images [using the sequencer or another app] if you need even more blur

this was done entirely in blender, but took like 20 minutes to render [or 30?]. It was done using the motion blur technique with the sequence editor to combine 240 [or 256, I forget] images
http://home.earthlink.net/~nwinters99/B ... aDof5.jpeg
A2597 wrote:And third, and the last one that comes readily to mind....
Halo's and Lens flares...currently I'm using crappy Photochop lens flares for suns and flares for the simple reason that blenders lens flares are worse then ones that existed in games 5 years ago. They REALLY need work.
perhaps you need better textures on the flare

besides, lens flares are an annoying effect if used frequently

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

z3r0_d wrote:last I heard yafray uses a zblur like technique, which while nice looking and fast has several glitches
Not any more. Yafray now uses true raytraced DOF, which has none of the problems of the zblur postprocess method, but it's slower. Yafray speed is steadily improving though, I think I'll be using it more and more.

Here's a test of mine:

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

broken wrote:
z3r0_d wrote:last I heard yafray uses a zblur like technique, which while nice looking and fast has several glitches
Not any more. Yafray now uses true raytraced DOF, which has none of the problems of the zblur postprocess method, but it's slower. Yafray speed is steadily improving though, I think I'll be using it more and more.

Here's a test of mine:
http://mke3.net/projects/tests/bucketdof.jpg
I STAND CORRECTED!!!

[that's cool btw!]

mzungu

Post by mzungu »

[that's cool btw!]
You should see the animated versions! Really cool stuff! (they're linked on Elysiun somewhere... along with the blend files to download...)

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

<off-topic>

Aw shucks :)
Here they are: http://mke3.net/archives/2004/08/234_new_feature.html

</off-topic>

konrad_ha

Post by konrad_ha »

*Cough*
"Internal renderer"
*cough*
Yup, I can agree on that one concerning DOF in Blender's Internal Renderer. The workaround is a pain in the a** and I can't use Yafray for most of my work, which is animations.

I really hope "Internal DOF" will be part of the next release.

bertram

Post by bertram »

side note for those people who still argue that DOF is just a "bells-and-whistles"-effect: this simply isn't true, especially for animations. It's a very important stylistic device amongst shape, light and shadow, color, contrast which enables you like nothing else to differentiate foreground from background.

mzungu

Post by mzungu »

I agree with bertram and konrad_ha... it is important and it would be great to have in blender's renderer. If implemented, it definitely needs to be animate-able (IPOs for the focal point, or parent to an empty.) I'm reluctant to use yafray's DOF in an animation (yes, I'm a very patient person, occasionally using yafray for animation... :) ) because I don't know if its focal distance is static or not, and don't want the hassle of manually tweaking it thru the anim.

zygom

Post by zygom »

ME too
a dof for blender internal renderer its very very important

joeri

Post by joeri »

So why is nobody responding that blender has lens flares?
And halos, it even got shaded halo's I haven't seen lightwave doing that (doesn't mean it can't do it :)

bertram

Post by bertram »

joeri wrote:So why is nobody responding that blender has lens flares?
Because this wasn't the question :wink:

See:
A2597 wrote:...currently I'm using crappy Photochop lens flares for suns and flares for the simple reason that blenders lens flares are worse then ones that existed in games 5 years ago.
Yes. It would be nice-to-have some fancier lensflares especially for scenes with complex lighting. But since lensflares are 2d-effects, applying them in your favourite compositing-software e.g. Combustion (which has some really excellent lens flares, but I'm sure so has jahshaka), makes more sense especially concerning rendering speed and controlability.

joeri

Post by joeri »

O, now it's the software that makes the crappy artwork.
Hmmm. where have I heard that before. I've seen some excellent halo's and lensflares made with blender (@ndy's mindscapes for example).