Motionblur Iterations...

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Crawl

Motionblur Iterations...

Post by Crawl » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:46 pm

I've got the problem that the maximum of 16 motionblur iterations isn't enough. Is it possible to add a new button (like the one for the octree resultion) where we could select more than 16 iterations? e.g. 24 32 40 48 56 64?

best regards :)

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:02 pm

I guess you mean OSA?

Blurfactor for MBLUR doesn't even go higher than 5.0

/Nathan

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:14 pm

Motion Blur currently takes it's level from OSA, a different function. Very missleading, and limiting too. This would be something to change...

Plus, there is no reason I can see why the OSA level and MBlur level shouldn't be a numberbutton so you could set exactly the level you wish.

theeth

Post by theeth » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:14 am

IIRC, those values have been selected because they correspond to certain optimisation in the OSA code. Not sure if that's still true though.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

levon

Post by levon » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:31 am

i think a while ago there was a seperate motion blur iterations and OSA button, but that was ages ago and isnt there anymore.

it would be cool of there were seperate buttons for the amount of motion blur and OSA samples, is there actualy any reason why they have to be set to the same?

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:43 pm

Blender has no problem with rendering inbetween frames images (as far as I know). The fields are a frame and a frame+.5 image.
Only problem might be plug-ins.

On MBLUR limit 5.
I don't understand why this limit is above 1 !!!
Must be an artistic reasons. Film Mblur will never be above 1.
Rendering MBLUR limit > OSA seems like a total waiste of render time to me.

But on OSA and MBLUR:
MBLUR in blender is rendering images in time and then blend them.
So, MBLUR 1 OSA 5 on frame 1 is frame 1, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 and then blend.
The reason OSA and MBLUR are the same is because if you turn OSA 5 to on, blender will render the frame 5 times anyway, 5 sample passes for the anti-aliasing. (press F12 and see the samples in the headerbar, take a slow file!)
The only difference with MBLUR on is that it will advance time during the sampling.
Splitting this will have mayor effect on render times.
MBLUR 5 OSA 5 will then render 5 images in OSA 5 and blend them, this will take 5 times as long. But,... thats no real reason not to do it.

zygom

Post by zygom » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:07 pm

i think motion blur tool is not very professionnal there are problem for quick
movement we can see each frame

levon

Post by levon » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:57 pm

joeri wrote: On MBLUR limit 5.
I don't understand why this limit is above 1 !!!
Must be an artistic reasons. Film Mblur will never be above 1.
Rendering MBLUR limit > OSA seems like a total waiste of render time to me.
ever seen koyaanaqatsi, that has exposure times of a few seconds per frame.

Crawl

Post by Crawl » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:00 pm

zygom wrote:i think motion blur tool is not very professionnal there are problem for quick
movement we can see each frame
exactly. and this is my problem. So if we could tweak the iterations more, this problem would be erased (partially).

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:12 pm

Other software seem to make a difference between 2d and 3d motionblur.
In 2d a move normal is saved for each pixel and blurred in a post process.
The blender motionblur could be better if users could set a blend curve: ie. all images are now blend equaly, but older images should be blend more.

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:39 am

It would be cool to be able to use an IPO curve as a curve blend so you could have a lot of controle over hot the fading looked.

shteeve

Post by shteeve » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:52 am

hey, i wrote a python script which allows an arbitrary number of samples and duration length to be used for motion blur. it worked with both yafray and the internal renderer. i could see it being possible to implement a blending curve function for it, too. the main problem with it was that i had to reference an external python library (that you'd have to download separately) to open open the subframe sample images, which for some would be an inconventience. does anyone know if there is a way to access the blender renderbuffer directly (ie the array of rgb[a] values) from python or of an easier way of loading an image into memory? anyway, for you blending pleasure: http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30057

Crawl

Post by Crawl » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:57 am

shteeve wrote:hey, i wrote a python script which allows an arbitrary number of samples and duration length to be used for motion blur. it worked with both yafray and the internal renderer. i could see it being possible to implement a blending curve function for it, too. the main problem with it was that i had to reference an external python library (that you'd have to download separately) to open open the subframe sample images, which for some would be an inconventience. does anyone know if there is a way to access the blender renderbuffer directly (ie the array of rgb[a] values) from python or of an easier way of loading an image into memory? anyway, for you blending pleasure: http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30057
i'll try it :D

i'm to stupid i cant start it. :roll: :oops:

lucky3

Post by lucky3 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:08 pm

Your script works perfectly shteeve, thanks! Very useful, especially with yafray (so far it wasn't possible).
i'm to stupid i cant start it.
Make sure you've downloaded 'python image library
http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/

konrad_ha

Post by konrad_ha » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:26 pm

I wonder if a 2D-postpro mBlur is in th works somewhere. There are many situations where it is sufficient and it really speeds up rendering a lot.

Once again, it's one of those "animator's dream" features.