Worldwide distributed rendering system for BLENDER!

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

lightning

Worldwide distributed rendering system for BLENDER!

Post by lightning »

http://burp.boinc.dk

For those of you who don't know, Janus (aka Flare on Elysiun) has built a distributed blender rendering system that uses the same client as seti@home. Basically this means that once you sign up you can submit renders that are completed in a fraction of the time you would spend, because they are processed when people are away from their computers.

Flare already wrote about this, Lightning! Why are you double posting?

Flare runs linux. He has already built the BURP system from the ground up. However, because he runs linux it is very difficult for him to build windows versions of the modified blender.exe needed to render in the background (the two os's arent terribly compatible ;)). For this reason, he needs someone to build the windows client from source.
For more information, read the news article on the burp home page.

Finally, let me give you an example of the power of grid computing.

Say there are a thousand computers on the BURP system, but eight hundred are in use. This leaves two hundred free. You have an animation that you want to render. There are four hundred frames, and each takes ten minutes. In total, that would take 66.6 recurring hours, or just under three days! Instead, submit the animation to burp, and the whole thing would only take twenty minutes. Of course, thats under optimum conditions, but it gives you an idea. Even if it took a day on burp, that would be a third of the time it would take you on your own.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope one of you developers takes the few hours needed to compile the windows client. You never know, it may save someone two days of rendering.
The dawn of a new error...

levon

Post by levon »

what exactly is needed in this 'custom' build? the ability to run in the background? any idea how you make it do that? i can compile blender in cygwin, but it is aparently around 30% slower then the official builds.

lightning

Post by lightning »

No additional coding is necessary. I'm sorry, I probably didn't make this clear in my post. Flare has already made all the necessary changes, and the patch can be found in this thread on the burp forum

It would be nice to have this done with MSVC (the official compiler) but that is not necessary- cygwin will be fine at least for now.
The dawn of a new error...

levon

Post by levon »

i downloaded all the patches, but non of them will patch properly

im patching as such: patch -p0 <RE_callbacks.c.diff

and i get the following errors

Code: Select all

$ patch -p0 <RE_callbacks.c.diff
can't find file to patch at input line 7
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|cvs  diff  "RE_callbacks.c"
|Index: RE_callbacks.c
|===================================================================
|RCS file: /cvsroot/bf-blender/blender/source/blender/render/intern/source/RE_ca
llbacks.c,v
|retrieving revision 1.5
|diff -r1.5 RE_callbacks.c
--------------------------
File to patch:
and this happens with all of the patches, any ideas?
oh and i tred changing the directory to what my directory structure is, but still didnt work