Area Lights- Slow

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ideasman

Area Lights- Slow

Post by ideasman » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:27 am

I was tinkering with my PovRay exporter and I notived that Blender area lights are a lot slower then povrays.
povray in ~12
blender 1min 20sec

Blender seemed to take a long time per scanline, where as povray only slowed down on the ares that had soft shadows.

Interestingly blender with the same number of lamps - (xsamples*ysamples) With spotlight shadowbuf shadows and duplivers, only took 3 seconds.
Mabe it would be good to have shadowbuff arealights?

- Cam

z3r0_d

Re: Area Lights- Slow

Post by z3r0_d » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:00 pm

ideasman wrote:Mabe it would be good to have shadowbuff arealights?
wouldn't that require recalculating the depth buffer [for each test]?

if so: use dupliverted spot lamps

if not: well, I guess it makes sense then

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:46 am

Yeah- using shadow buffer for arealamps is exactly the same as duplivert spotlamps,

My point is that if duplivert spotlamps are so much faster, then mabe there should be an option for arealamps to work like duplivert spot lamps.

harkyman

Post by harkyman » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:16 pm

I've noticed this too, and done the dupliverted spot lamp thing. It would be nice to be able to just toggle it over in the lamp settings, though, like you can do with spotlights.

konrad_ha

Post by konrad_ha » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:59 pm

:D This could be a neat feature!

Setting up light-domes (like in the old days, before area-lamps became mainstream) is just a pain in the ass. Combining the ease of use of real area-lights with the speed of faked ones (arrays of shadow-buffered spots) would be a killer-feature. And the good thing: this should be pretty easy to implement. It could even be done with a python-script I guess, but full integration into the lamp-types would be even better.

Oh man, I sure hope someone finds the time to do this.

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:51 am

Im sure anybody with enough time and a bit of knowhow could impliment this- have a a go