Hardware recomendations

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

tiny paintings

Re: re

Post by tiny paintings » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:30 pm

rcas wrote:For RAM I would suggest a CL2 RAM, either OCZ / Patriot / Mushkin / Crucial / Kingston . I would also suggest DDR 1 memory, not DDR2, since DDR2 memories are CL4 and CL5.
Nothing you said is untrue but the implied interpreration is a bit off.
CAS is measured in clock cycles. After a little browsing on a hardware dealer site it looks like 400 MHz, CAS 2 and 533 MHz, CAS 2.5 / 667 MHz, CAS 4 was the best DDR1 and DDR2 could offer respectively. Let's do the math:

DDR1, 400 MHz, CAS 2: 1/400 * 2 * 10^3 = 5 ns
DDR2, 533 MHz, CAS 2.5: 1/533 * 2.5 * 10^3 = 4.7 ns
DDR2, 667 MHz, CAS 4: 1/667 * 4 * 10^3 = 6 ns

So, if you jugde by CAS alone a good DDR2 comes out as the winner.
Of course, in the end, you'll want DDR1 to use with your AMD system ;)

rcas

Post by rcas » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:39 pm

tiny paintings wrote:
rcas wrote:For RAM I would suggest a CL2 RAM, either OCZ / Patriot / Mushkin / Crucial / Kingston . I would also suggest DDR 1 memory, not DDR2, since DDR2 memories are CL4 and CL5.
Nothing you said is untrue but the implied interpreration is a bit off.
CAS is measured in clock cycles. After a little browsing on a hardware dealer site it looks like 400 MHz, CAS 2 and 533 MHz, CAS 2.5 / 667 MHz, CAS 4 was the best DDR1 and DDR2 could offer respectively. Let's do the math:

DDR1, 400 MHz, CAS 2: 1/400 * 2 * 10^3 = 5 ns
DDR2, 533 MHz, CAS 2.5: 1/533 * 2.5 * 10^3 = 4.7 ns
DDR2, 667 MHz, CAS 4: 1/667 * 4 * 10^3 = 6 ns

So, if you jugde by CAS alone a good DDR2 comes out as the winner.
Of course, in the end, you'll want DDR1 to use with your AMD system ;)
DDR2 with CAS 2.5, I can't find those for sale where I live :) .
And its not all to do with CAS, but it sure is a nice way to help a person that knows nothing about it to get some insight. Its a common denominator, it usually helps you out to know that its not just Mhz, that CAS also counts.

Also note that most of the systems today feature 466 Mhz DDR1 and higher, so for now I would say DDR1 is still faster, of course that in a near future DDR2 will top it.

:D
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

tiny paintings

Post by tiny paintings » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:16 am

rcas wrote: DDR2 with CAS 2.5, I can't find those for sale where I live :) .
And its not all to do with CAS, but it sure is a nice way to help a person that knows nothing about it to get some insight. Its a common denominator, it usually helps you out to know that its not just Mhz, that CAS also counts.

Also note that most of the systems today feature 466 Mhz DDR1 and higher, so for now I would say DDR1 is still faster, of course that in a near future DDR2 will top it.
Very true. Timings do matter.

I was under the impression that AMD64 system supported only 400 MHz (PC3200) memory, but I might be wrong.

I even found 667 MHz CAS 3 sticks, and crazy stuff like 1000 MHz CL 5 sticks (5 ns CAS delay) but I don't think they're supported by any hardware. A 1000 MHz CL 5 is, obviously (?), preferable over a 400 MHz CL2 module since it has the same CAS delay but over twice the burst speed AFAIK.

Weezill

Re:

Post by Weezill » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:53 pm

Hi guys, thanks again for the replies, although I have to admit you've managed to confuse me on the ram side a little... does CAS == CL in old money? does DDR2 work with AMD 64 CPUs? Am I better getting fewer larger capacity sticks of RAM or more smaller capacity sticks (i.e. 2x512mb or 1x1gb and so on). Could someone give me a quick explantion of the advantages/disavantages of EEC registered memory?
One last question, am I better off getting two AMD Opteron 240's (1.4GHz 1MB Cache) or one AMD Athlon 64 X2 (3800+ 2Ghz 512k cache)?

thanx again for the help guys :D much obliged, much obliged...

Ze German

rcas

Re:

Post by rcas » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:09 pm

Weezill wrote:Hi guys, thanks again for the replies, although I have to admit you've managed to confuse me on the ram side a little... does CAS == CL in old money? does DDR2 work with AMD 64 CPUs? Am I better getting fewer larger capacity sticks of RAM or more smaller capacity sticks (i.e. 2x512mb or 1x1gb and so on)
Also, am I better off getting two AMD Opteron 240's (1.4GHz 1MB Cache) or one AMD Athlon 64 X2 (3800+ 2Ghz 512k cache)?

thanx again for the help guys :D much obliged, much obliged...

Ze German
CAS == CL you will see CL2.0 or CL2 for a CAS 2 RAM.
DDR2 is currently not supported on AMD64 CPUs, I think their newest one supports it though, but it is top of the line and too expensive, so I think you won't be aiming at it.

Depends, if you are using a Dual Channel system, you should get smaller capacity sticks. Yet, AMD 64 doesn't support it, again only on their newest model, so I think it won't matter much, so buy the larger capacity module you can afford, leaving space for future upgrades.

If you plan on using Blender and other 3D applications I would say the Dual Opteron would make a difference, because of the bigger cache, but since the AMD 64 X2 3800+ has an effective clock of 2000Mhz, you are better off with it, the increase of speed overcomes the cache for each CPU along with the on die core's, making it faster.

Just make sure you buy a good motherboard for the X2.
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

Weezill

Post by Weezill » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:35 pm

hi again, thanks for the advice, I think i'll go with the X2 in that case...
Just make sure you buy a good motherboard for the X2
Could anyone recomend a reasonably priced Asus, Abit or other X2 compatible board?