Feature Request: More than two Threads.

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

bannerboy

Feature Request: More than two Threads.

Post by bannerboy » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:45 am

I don't think it would take verry much time, we already have two threads going, I'm proposing that somone put a little box there so that you can select how many threads you use on a given render. if you have more than 2 cpu's, why not be able to use all of them?

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:00 am

what would these N threads be doing anyway?

bannerboy

Post by bannerboy » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:20 pm

rendering, we already have a "threads" render option to render in two threads, blender simply renders two scanlines at a time. but it would be nice if it could render 4 lines at a time, or 8, or 100.

wavk

Post by wavk » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:19 pm

Dual dual cores are popping around the corner of the consumer market at the moment. I guess in a year or so, they'll be affordable for mere mortals, so you're right, it would be nice to have in the near future. My guess is that it's not that difficult now that we already have dual threads?

bannerboy

Post by bannerboy » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:05 pm

mere mortals? are you saying that I'm immortal? I've got a dual core, it just about cost a fortune, but it renders like mad. anyway, the other thing that provides people with more processors is parallel clusters, or if you need to set up a temperary render farm, all you have to do is use parallel knoppix, and you have as big a farm as you want, but unless blender starts supporting more than two processors, you can't take advantage of it fully.

gabio

Post by gabio » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:31 am

imho the real advantage of getting a lot of thread would be like if each part of blender would have a thread, this way for example you could render and still continue to work on your scene. but that also imply modularisation. And this will have to wait until 3.0 and purple...