Anyone still working on Renderman export?

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

animate1978

Anyone still working on Renderman export?

Post by animate1978 »

I am getting sick of this. Is it just Windows version of Blender that fails to run right? Or is it the scripts? I have tried to use every single Renderman export script out there, and every single time they fail to run right, or run at all. Today I was using Blenderman (a modifyed version to work with Blender 2.4) and it was running fine, now - you can't even click ANY BUTTONS. I am getting sick of this. All I am doing is testing things so that this indie movie I am working in will HAVE THE ABILITY TO USE BLENDER AND AQSIS! I am half tempted to tell the producers this is not possible with the software we have to our disposal. Which means this movie will fail to come to light and the past 7 months of our involvement will be wasted. What happened to the custom version of Blender that used AQSIS as an internal renderer? Why was this stopped? It seems that EVERY SINGLE attempt to intergrate Blender and Renderman stops after a while. I would do it myself but I suck at programming.

Sorry if I seem a bit hostile. I do apologize. But I just don't think it's fair that we have a powerfull rendering system such as Aqsis that is open source, and a decent 3D package like Blender and there isn't a dedicated effort to bring them together. If there was anything like Liquid in terms of stability available to Blender I wouldn't be so frustrated, but it just seems once I see some progress in my tests I have to re-install Blender just to make it work and that is so counter-productive.

I don't know what to do here, I have contacted a programmer to help solve this "problem" but I have yet to get anything from him (just cause he has to pay the bills you know). I am willing to submit our movie as a testbed for a serious project like this.
So if anyone can offer suggestions or code, or whatever please do so cause I am getting headaches from trying to figure this out. You can email me at animate1978@lycos.com or IM on yahoo - animate1978

Again sorry if I seemed a bit hostile, I was just very pissed and didn't know what else to do since all the Blender forums cannot seem to send activation codes to my email account, thus I can't post.

Thanks
Ted

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

Hi,
I was using Blenderman (a modifyed version to work with Blender 2.4) and it was running fine, now - you can't even click ANY BUTTONS.
Did you change python or Blender versions?
What happened to the custom version of Blender that used AQSIS as an internal renderer? Why was this stopped?
That is still in existence I think it is in Tuhopuu2 - the author of the work decided it was a dead end due to the inability to get certain information from the internal pipeline and did not continue with it. I'm not sure how much functionality it had.
It seems that EVERY SINGLE attempt to intergrate Blender and Renderman stops after a while.
Probably because integrating a renderer is a non trivial task. The recent renderer API refactor should make it much easier for external renderers to be integrated but that doesn't help you in the short term.

Hmmm did you contact Shortwave (it appears you are Neuromancer1978 on CGTalk), as mentioned in the CGTalk thread he is working in cooperation with the Aqsis team on a full featured exporter.

a quick question, why the insistence on using Aqsis as opposed to the internal renderer? Is there a particular feature of Aqsis that is critical to make your shot look correct?

LetterRip

animate1978

Post by animate1978 »

Ok - I just got reamed at the Aqsis site for posting this message. I deeply regret having attitude here, and hope all who look will not think of me badly, although I am sure some have. I was NOT intendeding to blow up like this, I just had a VERY BAD DAY with Blender and Aqsis. I should have thought out the post before submiting this.

So to all - forgive my attitude, will not happen again.

animate1978

Post by animate1978 »

Probably because integrating a renderer is a non trivial task. The recent renderer API refactor should make it much easier for external renderers to be integrated but that doesn't help you in the short term.

Hmmm did you contact Shortwave (it appears you are Neuromancer1978 on CGTalk), as mentioned in the CGTalk thread he is working in cooperation with the Aqsis team on a full featured exporter.

a quick question, why the insistence on using Aqsis as opposed to the internal renderer? Is there a particular feature of Aqsis that is critical to make your shot look correct?

Haha - I guess I get around huh? Yes I had contacted SHortwave, but he only gave me a modified version of Blenderman, which still has bugs but way better than previous scripts. He did say he was working on something new, but as far as I know nobody has this yet.

As for using Aqsis over the internal renderer? One - because it sucks, sorry to say this but I do not like the results I get. The material editor is clunky, and hard to get the exact results I want. Don't ask why I have just gotten used to other means of shading and texturing and I really do not want to waste a few hours in Blender to create materials, when I can achieve the same results in SL in half that time. It's a productivity issue for me mainly.
Also things like DOF cannot be done in Blender. Shaders in RIB files can be changed just as quickly and a bit easier than in Blender, IMHO.

Two - Because if our film manages to use Aqsis and Blender for this, we would be the first to use open source software for a feature length film. I am actually trying to get a job doing Renderman related functions, and having this on my resume might look good. Aqsis is also one of the most stable open source Renderman compliant renderer out there. We can use it on a render farm. I'd like to use 3Delight, but again it's not free for the scale we would be using it for. Might as well buy PRMan for that.
Using these two software packages for a feature length film (indie or not) could increase the popularity of the two, because then it can be PROVEN that open source 3D software is not for mere hobbyists getting into 3D. We are not looking to get famous, we are doing this because we want to, and mostly because we HAVE to. We cannot afford Maya, or PRMan. We are making due with what we can, and hope for the best.

THIS is why I was so insistant on finding STABLE scripts for exporting RIBs... more or less to help ease the pain of the process.

Again I am sorry for my attitude.

osxrules

Post by osxrules »

I'm modifying the Blenderman script to work with 3delight just now and its working adequately well. I need to use it on a low budget animation and we don't use a render farm.

I prefer Renderman over Blender internal renderer too. Mainly the efficiency in handling lots of geometry, having true displacements and flexible shaders among other things.

I think at the moment, Python scripts are the quickest way to get the job done just now.

The reason I'm not using aqsis is because the Mac build is still at 0.9.1 and has been for over 2 years. Plus, 3delight is better IMO in terms of speed and quality.

I'm sure the script will work ok for aqsis too but I would need to adjust some things. I'm on a tight deadline but I'll try and get a copy of the script out this week and maybe you can play around with it.

Let me know what features you need to work and I'll see how easy they are to put into the script. The Blender 2.4 update changed the API and that broke the animation button or one of the updates did anyway and I see you got that sorted too. I'm not sure about the buttons not working at all - that could be a Windows thing as you suspected.

The only reason I decided to modify the script was that I felt the same frustration as you in that Renderman development seemed to have disappeared so I hope I can make something that's usable and since I'll be using it myself, I should be able to keep it up to date.

I doubt that my changes would anything more than SHortwave made. His is likely more advanced. Would it be possible to see his script so I could compare what he has done to mine or do you have a list of changes he has made over the original? I think rather than all work on different scripts, it would be good to get together and list required features and add support for various renderers. Sutabi did some work for Pixie I think - he was working on an external renderman app to work in conjunction with Blender. Not sure how that's going though.

AkhIL

Post by AkhIL »

I made renderman exporter for my self and call it ribber. This exporter doesn't depend from any particular renderer. But curently tested only on linux. You can read more on aqsis forum under Blender topic.
If you need something, just do it for yourself - that is unix way!

AkhIL

Post by AkhIL »

Hello everyone.

I am (AkhIL) and two more guys (qew and nemyax) working on new blender -> RenderMan exporting suite with name RIBKit. http://sf.net/projects/ribkit

ribkit will contain:
ribber - blender to renderman exporting engine
consturctor - easy to use gui frontend for ribber
generators - subprograms which will process different blender object types (ribber and constructor plugins)
sler - node shader editor (just like shaderman but open source and cross platform)
proceDura - procedural mesh generator with interactive preview possibility (we plan release tree and grass generator with growing and wind simulation)

just now I'm working on completely rewriting of ribber code. And qew working on sler.

We have first screenshot. This is sler:

We plan first release in next mounth

narnia

Post by narnia »

Any update on the ribkit development, will there be a windows binary available?

This project looks very interesting...

qewerty

Post by qewerty »

:)
Last edited by qewerty on Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Umbabarauma!

qewerty

Post by qewerty »

narnia wrote:Any update on the ribkit development, will there be a windows binary available?
Most of ribkit programms (now all) are fully written in Python, and croossplatform on 99%. But no one of us use windows, and we can't do the port. If someone who use windows will do this, we'll upadate ribkit.
Umbabarauma!