Stripes in Ambient Occlusion Shadowing on hi res renders

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

lobo_nz

Stripes in Ambient Occlusion Shadowing on hi res renders

Post by lobo_nz » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:51 pm

I ran into a problem with Ambient Occlusion where the shadowing would become stripey on large renders (4500x4500px), I tried allsorts of things to fix it but when I opened the same file in a linux version of blender the problem dissapears.
Here is an image which shows the problem, I also tried a preview of 2.42 with intermittant results on windows, but the lighting changed drastically on the preview release for some reason.
The problem hopefully this may be fixed in a future release for Windows as I only have one Linux box at work, it may even be due the memory error that Ton has fixed for the orange project but I am just guessing.

If anyone does have a solution to render a hi res Ambient Occlusion render on windows without stripeing in the shadows please let me know thanks.

wavk

Post by wavk » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:50 am

I just completed an animation in which I got similar AO artifacts. Just random areas of shadow, which change every frame. It wasn't even on a difficult pat of the model, just a corner of a wall and the ceiling. We ended up retouching the affected frames in Photoshop.

The artifacts in my animation are however constant at each frame. So if I render a frame a couple of times, nothing changes. But the artifacts only show up at certain frames. It probably has to do with the angle, because I'm walking through the house.

lobo_nz

Post by lobo_nz » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:45 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I rerendered with a completely different angle and the stripes have gone!
This is so IRONIC you wouldn't believe, I have camera matched (http://www.warpax.com/pytsai/index.html) the render to some lineart generated by a CAD application so I can overlay a vector wireframe so I cant change the camera angle (Maybe I could rotate it) - It just ends up easier to use linux which renders fine.
At least I know a work around for other renders - thanks.

Caronte

Post by Caronte » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:43 pm

Try play with the Bias slider.
Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com