Suggestion: Colored box around render buckets?

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

LeiGet

Suggestion: Colored box around render buckets?

Post by LeiGet » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:50 am

What I'm talking about is for the current render bucket rendering, could their be a colored outline around it? Maybe light-green.

The reason being because I sometimes am wondering why my renders are going slow, I can't tell what bucket it is rendering at the moment, so I really don't know if it's my computer messing up, or if it ray-tracing something.

Example:

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:31 pm

A bucket being rendered is 'greyed' out, a finished bucket is drawn in proper color (at least, that is my experience)

/Nathan

harkyman

Post by harkyman » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:45 pm

I thought that was the different passes (spec first, then ref, etc.) showing up as they finished.

What I would like to see as far as render display, is for scanlines to be done in a binary fashion within buckets (i.e. if the bucket is x by y, render line y/2 first, then y/4, then 3y/4, etc.). As the first one is finished, the whole bucket is filled with it, top to bottom. As each new line becomes available, you subdivide the display, giving you a full image bucket each time, but of progressively better resolution. That way, you might be able to see what you need to (lighting, etc.) before the render's even done. If it's bad you can cancel and start your next revision sooner than you would have the other way.

M@dcow

Post by M@dcow » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:06 pm

harkyman wrote:I thought that was the different passes (spec first, then ref, etc.) showing up as they finished.

What I would like to see as far as render display, is for scanlines to be done in a binary fashion within buckets (i.e. if the bucket is x by y, render line y/2 first, then y/4, then 3y/4, etc.). As the first one is finished, the whole bucket is filled with it, top to bottom. As each new line becomes available, you subdivide the display, giving you a full image bucket each time, but of progressively better resolution. That way, you might be able to see what you need to (lighting, etc.) before the render's even done. If it's bad you can cancel and start your next revision sooner than you would have the other way.
Quoted for agreement. This way, what you see at first may be a messy blob, but you are still getting enough visual feedback to see whether or not you have the lighting setup correctly....which is a huge timesaver in the end.

harkyman

Post by harkyman » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:22 am

Yes (he says, anticipating objection), you could always change your render settings, remove OSA, set it to 50%, use Preview Render, etc., but unless I understand it incorrectly, this method should take only a trivial amount of additional time to produce, yet give significantly better feedback to the user, even at final render stage.