What makes a good rendering computer?

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

killer-cop

What makes a good rendering computer?

Post by killer-cop » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:30 pm

Hey all

I am soon to take a 3D education here in Denmark, and I have conculated that I will have a lot of money, so I thought of building a rendering computer. For rendering 3D only. Anyone who knows what makes a good rendering computer? And which hardware is the most important when rendering (eventually show it in percent(%) or make a circle chart)? Or any links?

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:48 pm

a fast processcor and lots of ram

fancy graphics cards don't make blender render any faster, and a high performance hard drive shouldn't make a large difference [unless you're doing something to large numbers of frames... but you might as well not transfer that over a network and back anyway]

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:08 pm

I'll second that....
Lots of ram and as fast a processor as you can get! I'd also recommend Linux or OSX for your OS when just rendering. Handles memory a little better in my "opinion".

killer-cop

Post by killer-cop » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:20 pm

hey thanks for the replies :P

ok its a big help for me, and I have made a "sketch" of what I will buy..

I will make a "all-in-one" PC, so I can make the graphics and also render them on the same PC... Here are the important specs:

MSI K8N Master2-FAR

FireGL V5100

Opteron 250 2.4 GHz (dual processors)

2 x 1 GB Kingston DDR400 PC3200 (for now..)

What do you think?

LeiGet

Post by LeiGet » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:13 am

FireGL V5100
I don't think an ATI card would be good for Blender, but I don't know about other programs. I recommend an NVidia card, because NVidia cards have all around good performance(although not as fast as ATI), with compatability. ATI cards don't render in OpenGL all that great, and I heard FireGL was their first OpenGL model, and I've had some problems with first models before.

Here's an idea: If you have access to any computer stores, call them all up and ask if they have a FireGL card, and if so, ask them if you can demonstrate it with some programs, like Blender and games.

snow

Post by snow » Fri May 05, 2006 9:18 pm

Conventional wisdom says a good processor and lots of fast ram. Preferably Dual Core ofcourse.

However. I wouldn't write off a good graphics processor completely. It is still very early, but gpu-accelerated renderers are starting to make an appearance. NVidia has recently released a free version of Gelato and I'm pretty sure we'll see an exporter for it some time soon. If you are really serious about getting a good rendering computer you might even want to look into getting one of the NVidia Quadro's since they are targeted at serious production (for a price of course).

Look at http://www.nvidia.com/page/gelato.html if you're interested.

voc007

Post by voc007 » Sun May 07, 2006 4:40 am

10- p3 dual 1ghz 1u server with 1 gb ram each link together for a render farm. Well that is what I am doing right now... I have 3 right now total of 6 Ghz and 6 GB Ram and continue to get more from ebay- they are dirt cheap. Average is about $150 - $200 shipped. My main machine id AMD 3100+ with 1 GB Ram and Geforce 5900, SUSE 10, it distrubutes the jobs to slaves and renders very fast. With 10 of them , that is only $2000 and have 20Ghz with 10 GB RAM, good luck on your schooling.

jaycun

Post by jaycun » Sat May 13, 2006 11:45 pm

snow wrote:Conventional wisdom says a good processor and lots of fast ram. Preferably Dual Core ofcourse.

However. I wouldn't write off a good graphics processor completely. It is still very early, but gpu-accelerated renderers are starting to make an appearance. NVidia has recently released a free version of Gelato and I'm pretty sure we'll see an exporter for it some time soon. If you are really serious about getting a good rendering computer you might even want to look into getting one of the NVidia Quadro's since they are targeted at serious production (for a price of course).

Look at http://www.nvidia.com/page/gelato.html if you're interested.
see . . . http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66308 for tips on how to use Gelato with Blender.