mirror/transparency depth more then 10 ?

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

patricks

mirror/transparency depth more then 10 ?

Post by patricks » Tue May 02, 2006 8:28 pm

Hello every body

It would be nice if Blender could have more then only 10 as ray mirror/transparency depth. Right now I am trying to render a realistic light bulb that has inside a lot of glass and the max of 10 ray depth is not enough :( . In the final render the most inner part of the light bulb is not transparent. If I had the chance to increase the ray depth to something like 11 or 12 it would be enough. :)
If this is not the right place to post this request, please tell me ware do I have to post it. :roll:
I don’t think that it is difficult to implement this (it is not a new feature but still needs to be enhanced (more then 10 ray depth))

Patrick

jaycun

Post by jaycun » Tue May 02, 2006 11:46 pm

Why don't you use yafray? It can achieve far more realistic results than Blender's internal renderer can. Also, you can set raydepth up to 100 and caustic depth up to 100.

patricks

Post by patricks » Wed May 03, 2006 10:28 am

jaycun wrote:Why don't you use yafray? It can achieve far more realistic results than Blender's internal renderer can. Also, you can set raydepth up to 100 and caustic depth up to 100.
Hi jaycun

I know that you can increase the ray depth in yafray, but this is not the point. I want to be able to do this with the blender ray tracer. In my example of a realistic light bulb that seams to emit light, it would be very difficult to get nice results with yafray for several reasons. First you wont be able to use the Photon lamp with the light bulb because the light is like a point light that spreads light in all directions ( with the photon lamp you only can focus the photon caustics in one direction like a spot light ) . You can believe me I tray all thinkable ways (emitters , point light … etc) , with out a Photon lamp or a area lamp that guides the photons , yafray have a hard time to get a nice image with small light sources in a closed room . So I thought to face it with Blender and it is very easy to do (except caustics) with all the possibilities to group lamps and objects (blender cvs) and the node compositor. But there is this problem with the ray depth limit. If you are able to get nice results with yafray let me know ( a realistic light bulb has 3 enclosed spaces , the bulb it self and then 2 more inside , get a light bulb an take a close look at it and you will see . that means the ray has to travel thru 12 faces .)

Patrick

jaycun

Post by jaycun » Sat May 13, 2006 11:55 pm

my lightbulbs are clouded and I can't see anything in them...maybe if you posted a screenshot of your model and the lighting setup I can play with it a bit. Or better yet, post a blend (if you can).