Feature Request: SuperSampling AA

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:11 pm

By the way, don't use the Gauss OSA filter. It makes everything horribly blurry. Try Mitch or Catmull-Rom, they're usually much nicer. Mitch should really be default in the .B.blend.

Of course that's not a solution to the real problem, Blender needs much better bump mapping. Some more advanced features (hello, it's not 1990 any more) like relief mapping and self-shadowing wouldn't go astray either :)

Toon_Scheur

Post by Toon_Scheur » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:38 pm

For the example I provided, Mitch and Catmull filtering makes it slightly worse. Those filters have a sharpening part, that is useful indeed, but in light of the discussions going on here, Catmull-Rom and Mitch filtering makes the results worse. And that is indeed a typical situation that M@dcow has been contemplating about: New features are stacked on Blender, but as long as the basics of the render engine are not dealt with, those new features won't matter much.

cessen

Post by cessen » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:09 am

Toon_Scheur wrote:For the example I provided, Mitch and Catmull filtering makes it slightly worse. Those filters have a sharpening part, that is useful indeed, but in light of the discussions going on here, Catmull-Rom and Mitch filtering makes the results worse.
Have you tried changing the filter width? Depending on the filter width, Mitch and Catmull can actually blur the image rather than sharpen it.
broken wrote:By the way, don't use the Gauss OSA filter. It makes everything horribly blurry.
Again, this depends on the filter width. Unfortunately Blender doesn't behave properly with regard to the filter width of the Gaussian filter, and thus it has almost zero effect (much to my dismay).
Normally the Gaussian filter is actually my favorite, but that's when I can actually tweak it's width properly.

At the moment the best filter settings you can use in Blender right now (in my opinion) is the Catmull-Rom filter with a width anywhere between 0.70 and 0.85.

(Actually, the filter width behaves incorrectly and downright oddly with almost all of the filters in Blender, but with many of them you at least still have a decent range of effect to work with, even if they don't occur at the proper numbers. The Gaussian filter and Box filter seem to be the exceptions, as the filter width has almost no effect on them at all. I consider the AA filter width behavior in Blender to be pretty much completely borked, and it really needs to be fixed. Perhaps I should take care of that...)