Midi Device Sensor? (Got Workaround, well sort of so far)

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

zamise

Midi Device Sensor? (Got Workaround, well sort of so far)

Post by zamise » Fri May 29, 2009 1:30 am

New to blender and forum.

Is there a Sensor that recognizes Midi notes on/off or CC and SysEx commands?

Thanks!
Last edited by zamise on Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

sonicocr

Post by sonicocr » Sat May 30, 2009 9:28 pm

Hi, this is my first post too, and I'm also interest on this issue.
I know that Maya can get MIDI control and I love to see this option on Blender.

Thanks in advace!
Noob Blender User in Costa Rica, Director of Photography, Multimedia Artist, Musician, Sci-fi fan :)

zamise

Post by zamise » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:29 am

I've been looking around and this guys web page who is doing something with midi and blender.

http://blog.global6.net/julesd/index.ph ... i_Import_X

Looks like its .mid import into blender that sounds like its using a computer's GM sounds, as I know GM sounds mostly suck, and it don't seem its for doing stuff live in the game engine with midi. I might be wrong tho, the animimation vids are pretty crapilily rendured, they're still pretty cool. I'm going to d/l the python script on there and see if I can use it and maybe do similar, or modify it some how...

Looks like it analizes for IPO curves only, so may be usefull, but not for real time game engine, some how figure out how to turn it into a sensor, maybe next to impossible for a newb like me.

Anyone with more experience, love to hear from ya!

zamise

Post by zamise » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:53 am

I'm going to see if I can use bome's midi translator to remap notes to qwerty key presses so the keyboard sensor can pick that up in the game engine.

http://www.bome.com./midi/translator/

If that don't work, then I'm gona try and see if I can write a VB ap to do it for me, which will take some time but I think I can do it.

Wish I knew more on python scripting, but hopefully one of the above options I'll get working enough to do some minimal things. If I get one to work I'll post back...

zamise

Post by zamise » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:02 pm

Well I got it!

The Bomes Midi Translator worked, was a bit tricky tho.

Here is a vid demoing it I just made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auono3iUj0U

zamise

Post by zamise » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:08 am

Update:

Looks like I'm mostly replying to myself here, maybe someone else will be intrested eventually. I do see a thread a month or so ago with more intrest in having a midi sensor, but anyway, even though I got some midi recognition via Blomes Midi Translator I am finding some major limitations.

Problems:

As I've been playing around with it, I've noticed Blomes is recognizing notes on difrent channels and I'm able to assign them with hex codes, but when my sequencer (Yamaha RS7000) plays its only translating channel 1 input. If I have the channel selected an manually play the note it supposed to translate it works, but while playing still only channel 1 gets picked up. I know this because I'm also playing into a text editor at the same time to see which querty key presses are responding, only ch 1 is getting picked up and passed along while playing, if dif channel is selected it will pick up manually played notes but not pre recorded notes. Making a lot of sense right? Me not understand either, but this appears to be either a midi problem or Blome problem and not Blender.

Blender problem I did notice, is that only a max of two simultanious key down presses will be sensed at any one time. Bummer to the core if 3 notes or qwerty keyboard presses are being held down only two will be sensed, even translated on channel 1 still only two max simultanious key down presses. Let off 1 of the two then the 3rd will be picked up, but not really 3, this is equivilant to only having a biphonic synth keyboard.

Coolness:

Still pretty cool, got some stuff down that'll show off minamal midi support via this method. Its not a lot but it still shows an awesomly small window of the potential for doing such things in Blender's game engine with midi.

Will post more demoing my limit midi capabilty...

sonicocr

Post by sonicocr » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:34 am

Hi guys,
In my case I use software to control 2D graphics and video with MIDI controllers, I use alot of notes and realtime CC MIDI data in my projects. I created alot of interactive installations and art projects using Isadora and QuarzComposer, for example this ones:

Interactive Colors of Benetton:
http://www.vimeo.com/5308976

Interactive Paper Sculpture:
http://www.vimeo.com/4887495

I have right now the chance to produce an interactive live theater show for the Children's Museum in Costa Rica, I'm the creative director of the project and I propouse to include real actors and virtual 2D or 3D characters, for this project my dream is to create some 3D puppets using blenders game engine and control them in realtime with this low-cost MIDI hardware:

http://www.sonalog.com/index.htm

Im a Noob learner of blender so I'll need alot of help from the community to find a solution in this mystery of getting realtime MIDI info inside the Game Engine.
Noob Blender User in Costa Rica, Director of Photography, Multimedia Artist, Musician, Sci-fi fan :)

coby

Post by coby » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:28 am

sonicocr,

Your Video Mapping Test was awesome! Those cubes looked real,
as if they were popping out of those object receiving the projections.
I know if Midi sensors were integrated in Blender's game engine,
you would certainly utilize them proficiently.

Personally working on OS X, I am hoping to find a cross-platform solution
that all users can benefit from, be it OSC, Python, hard code added to Blender, or something completely new.

There are a lot of programs out there that will convert an input device's signal into a desired output, but many of them are NOT open-source. Those that are open-source, that I've discovered so far, seem to be very complicated and programmer oriented instead of utilizing an intuitive GUI. This is going to require more searching.

I am curious to know if there even exists a cross-platform open-source, or at least a FREE and efficient way without bad latency, to use Midi input in the Blender 2.5 game engine.
You can have it all, but if you don't have love, you don't have anything...

sonicocr

Post by sonicocr » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:37 pm

coby wrote:sonicocr,

Your Video Mapping Test was awesome! Those cubes looked real,
as if they were popping out of those object receiving the projections.
I know if Midi sensors were integrated in Blender's game engine,
you would certainly utilize them proficiently.
Thanks Coby! I use OSX too.

I think the most useful option in blender is the integration of OSC inside que game engine. OSC is now very common in many MIDI apps and is easy to setup in a musician/visual designer style.

Please Blender team!!! get OSC inside the GE... :)

ThePhi

Update! Asking help for Live MIDI control in Blender

Post by ThePhi » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:08 pm

Hi!
I'm new here, so nice to be here! :D
Like the different posters of this quite old topic, I'm trying to get live control of Blender Game Engine thanks to my MIDI piano.

Things seem to have improved since 2010 and I've found a script which apparently would do the trick !
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Exten ... HID_Mapper

The problem is to get the device recognized...
After installing the script and run, the errors are :

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "HOME/MIDI.blend/hid_mapping.py", line 38, in <module>
  File "HOME/.config/blender/2.66/scripts/addons/system_hid_mapper.py", line 85, in create
    device = subsys_class.get_device(**kwargs)
  File "HOME/.config/blender/2.66/scripts/addons/system_hid_mapper.py", line 244, in get_device
    raise SubsystemException('Device not found')
system_hid_mapper.SubsystemException: Device not found
Error: Python script fail, look in the console for now...
But I know already that I can connect my piano, since I've tried rtMIDI and it's worked.
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-rtmidi/

Any idea? :)

By the way, I've found this video where the poster managed to get it working
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFUtjWTIOEM[/code]