XAML & Silverlight

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

cwguy

XAML & Silverlight

Post by cwguy »

As I see it, these technologies by Microsoft our best buddy are set to take over the features that the game engine 3d web plugin was meant to do a couple years ago (and never got wheels with developers here.) If anyone else has worked at all with the new Silverlight, Expression, XAML, and 3D, you'd realize it's set to take on Python + Blender, Flash and all of Adobe's programs.

Eventually Microsoft could take over Blender in the Game Creation department, now that WPF includes 3D capability and animation. Silverlight allows people to make graphics that look very 3d like, even if they are more 2Dish, and animate them so they look more 3D than ever before. This could threaten Blender's 3D outlook, not just for the web plugin but also for the standalone exe's and game creation. What I'm saying is Blender could just become a Modeler/Renderer program. I always thought Blender could compete with Flash and beat it out with its Game capabilities, but now with Silverlight and WPF I'm concerned it won't be able to compete.

I know the Blender folks are trying to add modeling features and the python functions that control them, but consider how Microsoft's nascent technologies will affect the web content that used to be made with Blender and is about to make Blender's game creation obsolete..

Anyone think the big guys in charge have thought about the next direction for Blender (like it being a Modeler only)? Or do they have a plan to improve the game engine and game creation features? I'd hate to see MS take ground that Blender and open source have held for these last 5 years!

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

Blender hasn't held any such ground :)

Flash and Shockwave 3D arguably have.

There are no plans to directly improve the GE and plans for improving the web plugin are even less likely, however and coders are welcome to join up and contribute if they are interested.

LetterRip

cwguy

Post by cwguy »

After I posted I sort of realized Blender didn't hold that ground, but for an open source program, it was unprecedented to have a realtime game creator embedded in the program.

I never had much hope for the web plugin, it was too early for its time, it really was awesome though :lol: I love that little bunny in the loading screen. I guess developers didn't love it enough to pursue it :(

MS is about to take this all over, uncertain times ahead for animation. But Long live Blender! at least for modeling and rendering..