Blender game export and CrystalSpace - why CS at all ?

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Post Reply
GDP_Sabrina
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:50 pm

Blender game export and CrystalSpace - why CS at all ?

Post by GDP_Sabrina » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:51 am

Hello,

before starting to dig into CrystalSpace ... what is it about at all ?

I thought, that I can create a complete game in Blender including Python scripts and much more and finally publish it as an executable.

What is this "CrystalSpace" then useful for ? How does CrystalSpace make use of Blender assets ?

As far as I undeerstood their homepage, it is a kind of game programming middleware. Why shouldnt I use the BGE controllers and sensors and code all the logic in Python ?

What does CrystalSpace offer, what Blender doesnt ?

Greetings
Sabrina

OTO
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:51 pm
Contact:

Post by OTO » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:05 pm

Hello
CS is a "real game engine , like the "big" ones ( as said in the main page)!
It's supposed to handle much more polygons and have more "modern" features that the Blender one!
I never used it, I'm a programmer illiterate!
That's why Blender is FANTASTIC to me!
Bye

GDP_Sabrina
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:50 pm

Post by GDP_Sabrina » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:03 pm

The question is, what can you do with CS, what you cant do with Blender GE and Python in combination ? Why did Apricot go for CS ?

Greetings
Sabrina

jorrit
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 4:01 pm

Post by jorrit » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:41 am

GDP_Sabrina wrote:The question is, what can you do with CS, what you cant do with Blender GE and Python in combination ? Why did Apricot go for CS ?

Greetings
Sabrina
Apricot went with CS because CS is one of the partners in this project. Also CS is a more general engine. It supports more features and allows to create full games. In the BGE it is harder to make a full game that supports (for example) networking, game menu, saving/loading games (as far as I know) and things like that. It is probably possible but in CS things like are somewhat easier.

Greetings,

GDP_Sabrina
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:50 pm

Post by GDP_Sabrina » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:07 pm

jorrit wrote:
GDP_Sabrina wrote:The question is, what can you do with CS, what you cant do with Blender GE and Python in combination ? Why did Apricot go for CS ?

Greetings
Sabrina
Apricot went with CS because CS is one of the partners in this project. Also CS is a more general engine. It supports more features and allows to create full games. In the BGE it is harder to make a full game that supports (for example) networking, game menu, saving/loading games (as far as I know) and things like that. It is probably possible but in CS things like are somewhat easier.

Greetings,
Hi Jorrit,

thanks for replying. What I don't understand is: Python is a complete language which has modules for nearly every aspect. So where is the need to switch to CS if you can import and use Python modules directly in BGE ?
There are many python modules for physics, threading, xml, client/server and many more.

So, what does CS offer in addition to the combination of Blender and Python ?

Greetings
Sabrina

jorrit
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 4:01 pm

Post by jorrit » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:06 pm

GDP_Sabrina wrote:
thanks for replying. What I don't understand is: Python is a complete language which has modules for nearly every aspect. So where is the need to switch to CS if you can import and use Python modules directly in BGE ?
There are many python modules for physics, threading, xml, client/server and many more.

So, what does CS offer in addition to the combination of Blender and Python ?

Greetings
Sabrina
Well Crystal Space is a 3D engine and renderer too. In some respects better then the BGE.

I guess in the end it is mostly a matter of taste. With both engines you can make games. What you like most depends on how you prefer to work. With Crystal Space you have a bit more flexibility. We have bindings for Python and Java and you can also use Crystal Space directly in C++ programs. That's not possible (as far as I know) with the BGE. Also while you can interface with other libraries with the BGE it will be hard to use that to get external window systems like CEGUI to interface with it. CS has built-in support for that.

Greetings,

Post Reply