Game Engine... use Crystal Space?

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

charlieg

Game Engine... use Crystal Space?

Post by charlieg »

Why not use a high quality engine like Crystal Space for the game engine?

There are many advantages to using a well maintained and prominently developed engine like CS, not least being the quality of it is most likely going to be head and shoulders above that of an internally written and maintained one. Plus you'd be pooling efforts which would further increase the quality of CS.

CS is highly portable, fast, actively developed by several people, designed to be more than an FPS engine, has python bindings, and lots more.

Is it plausible? Would it take a lot of effort to drop CS in instead of the current game engine?

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

The blender game engine is built into blender.
This gives us a nice all in one modelling and game dev environment and web plugin.

Crystal space (Looks great) but is so different from from blender that I don't think that they could be intergrated.

I think the best option would be a script exat exports blender files to a crystal space compatable format, mabe one already exists.

I am seriously thinking about using crystal space over blender for a 3D game but I need to find out more about crystal space + python.

joeedh

Post by joeedh »

ideasman wrote:The blender game engine is built into blender.
This gives us a nice all in one modelling and game dev environment and web plugin.

Crystal space (Looks great) but is so different from from blender that I don't think that they could be intergrated--
I'm not so sure that is entirely correct, considering that (correct me if I'm wrong) NAN did implement Crystal Space 3D support during the initial development of the gameengine. . .

Then removed it because of lack of certain features (physics, mainly, I think).

joeedh

Saluk

Post by Saluk »

Um, they never released a crystal space engine, I don't know if they toyed with the idea, but both engiens in blender, enji(old) and ketsji(new) are not related to crystal space. Blender's game engine is designed to be integrated within the creation tools, namely the gamelogic, wheras crystal space is designed to be incorporated into your own code using their api for any graphics functions your application requires. Totally different beasts.

Still, a crystal space export would be pretty cool, and it already has good maintenance. But it's no easy matter.

joeedh

Post by joeedh »

I can't even begin to remember which post I found this in, but I believe that whoever posted it said something to the effect that when development on the game engine was first considered, several external engines were looked at and Crystal Space was succesfully integrated.

Unfortuntly, Crystal Space lacked the neccasery tools that NaN felt a gameengine integrated into Blender needed (and that is why we have Ketsiji insteal of Crystal Space 3D).

joeedh

Saluk

Post by Saluk »

Oh right, I remember that. They tried crystal space before deciding to write their own engine:)

But I still think that since the current engine was developed on its own, that it wouldnt be easy to write something that converts it to crystal space. Might be doable though, I dunno. It would be nice to at least use the rendering element of it, get some free culling and special effects and the like, but its not plug and play.

IngieBee

Post by IngieBee »

Just a note, that CS does have Blender exports for levels. Nothing fancy, but you can model your levels in Blender and export to Blender. The one big bummer, is I still don't know how to export annimations??

Oh well, Ingie

djcapelis

Post by djcapelis »

what about the blender2cs script?

ideasman

Post by ideasman »

IngieBee wrote:Just a note, that CS does have Blender exports for levels. Nothing fancy, but you can model your levels in Blender and export to Blender. The one big bummer, is I still don't know how to export annimations??

Oh well, Ingie
I read that you can animate from Blender to CS using vertex keyframing.

mtr

Post by mtr »

I spent about a year working on Crystal Space, but have abandoned it now. Nothing against the guys working on it, but it wasn't going the direction I wanted.

My impression - it is a framework for experimental work in 3D graphics, not a high performance game engine. It seems to be very out of date, not using SceneGraphs or proper OpenGL support, or proper animation/armature realtime features. (Although they are currently working on A New Renderer). The code is massive, vastly complicated and not suitable for deployment in the way I want to.

I'm really, really hoping Blender is going to do what I need - but the lack of support for the game engine and browser plugin is worrying me. I'd like to see the old Publisher featurs back - signed/encrypted, deliverable as a runtime.

So all I can do is give my impressions of Crystal Space, and try to help Blender go where I would like to see it go.

Martin

ryu

OpenSceneGraph

Post by ryu »

What about using OpenSceneGraph?
http://www.openscenegraph.org
It's a completely generic scenegraph and very fast (and open source), and with support for all the newest OpenGL extensions (even the vertex / fragment programs and vertex buffer objects)...

It doesn't have support for audio/video/etc, because it's only an scenegraph, not a game library, but it does very well its job of rendering the scenes.

And moreover, it's thinked to allow integration with other libraries, for example, it was successfully integrated with cal3D, ODE (open dynamics engine), and I integrated it at work with ffmpeg for audio/video playback...

Regards.

nay

Post by nay »

anyone checked out NeL?

http://nevrax.org

based on screenshots alone it looks to be the most impressive open engine after crystal space around at the moment.

I definately think that blenders engine should stay, but more support for exporting would be great.

kniffo

Cool!

Post by kniffo »

I checked out the NeL and I like it _very_ much!!

I tried the snowball demo offline and its been fast and nice looking. With the strong network support it could be a cool platform for interactive gaming. I want to point out that in future, networking gets more and more importand and more games you guys will created will have multiplayer support - no one gets a friend on his machine to play on a split-screen - at least not on a PC.

Well, if someone could just explain, where the blender game engine interfaces with blender, we could start and try to implement just another 3d/networking engine - just as a test. The NeL need some OpenSource tools as well for creating the meshes/ objects and the levels as well as the actors and so on...
a program like blender with its wide functionality is more than perfect for fulfilling this task - to help the game designer.

I think, the blender community could only win by dealing with the creators of NeL, because they are quite open to OpenSource and publishing their knowledge.

Well, this is just a suggestion and maybe I will try it on my own ... but it's absolutely interesting !

/Kniffo

t_revs

Have you checked out Ogre?

Post by t_revs »

Hi
I came across this one the other day.
Check out the water animation.

http://ogre.sourceforge.net/

Cheers