Does the Doppler setting work in the game engine??

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Rebel

Does the Doppler setting work in the game engine??

Post by Rebel » Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:37 am

Hi All,
Does anyone know if the "Volume" and "Doppler" settings work in the game engine? The gamekit book says that the selected camera is the listener. I've tried all kinds of settings, and I can't get them to do anything. Am I doing something wrong? I would appreciate any help. My model plane sim is coming on nicely now, but I need the doppler shift for the sound. Thanx.

levon

Post by levon » Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:40 am

has to be a mono file

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:48 am

levon wrote:has to be a mono file
Thanx for the reply, Levon, but my wav file is a mono file, and neither the volume or doppler shift have any effect. Any other ideas on what I'm not doing right? I would appreciate any help.

levon

Post by levon » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:40 pm

what version of blender? and whats your email? ill make a file that works and send it to you.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:42 am

Hi Levon,
Apologies for the long delay. I would really appreciate the help. The version of Blender that I'm using is 2.25. My e-mail is krenecle@netactive.co.za

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanx

Keith

calli

Re: Does the Doppler setting work in the game engine??

Post by calli » Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:29 pm

Rebel wrote:Hi All,
Does anyone know if the "Volume" and "Doppler" settings work in the game engine? The gamekit book says that the selected camera is the listener. I've tried all kinds of settings, and I can't get them to do anything. Am I doing something wrong? I would appreciate any help. My model plane sim is coming on nicely now, but I need the doppler shift for the sound. Thanx.
You move the sound-source? Without moving no Doppler.

Carsten.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:34 am

Hi Carsten,

I do move the sound source all the time, and if you enable the 3D surround button, there is a change in volume only as the source moves. Doppler shift refers to a change in pitch as the source moves past a defined point, and this does not work. The "volume" button above the "doppler" button also does nothing.

I think that this is something that has maybe just gone un-noticed before in the game engine. Maybe Saluk can fix it in the next upgrade? Thanx anyway for the reply.
Regards,
Keith

calli

Post by calli » Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:06 am

Doppler definitely works on 2.25 Publisher. I recently loaded my old Plane Demo (from the online docs, I think it was a Demo for the Mouse Aiming Python).

Carsten.

levon

Post by levon » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:54 pm

ive tried that, if you use headphones youll knotice that its only the volume that changes

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:41 am

Yup, It's easy to be caught by the apparent change in phase from the speakers, but doppler shift causes the pitch of a sound to be higher as it approaches, and then lower as it goes away from you. It's a phase change, and the sound is used in musical instruments as well. Guitar effects pedals and also keyboards use it. The old Hammond organ's famous "Leslie" speaker (I'm giving my age away here!) has a rotating speaker that makes use of doppler shift.
Levon also sent me the old file with the biplane "shoot-em-up" and it is only an apparent effect. The "volume" slider above the doppler slider also does not seem to work.

Saluk

Post by Saluk » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:38 pm

Lol I would have no idea how to fix this - even if it was broken!

I am curious why it doesn't work on your system. Without headphones, the plane demo produces a quite noticeable pitch shift for me.

It is slightly broken though, I have a game with a looped running water sound with doppler, and no matter where you move, it seems to just keep getting lower and lower lol.

I don't really understand the sound system, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:00 am

Maybe we can ask FMOD?