Game Engine Status Thread

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Saluk

Post by Saluk » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:13 am

The definite plan is to finish integrating solid so that there is a 2.25 compatible version to work off of. Where we go after this is not decided at all, but there are surely a lot of options. I think replacing the renderer aspect with an existing, stable, renderer such as CS would be a good move, so that the game engine code doesn't have to bother with keeping up with current rendering technology. The logic bricks are blender's strong point, so it's important that they are kept. ODE is definately a more intriguing route for physics than Sumo (which uses SOLID) but it is also more realistic making it harder to integrate as well as harder to design games for.

But a 2.25-level version of tupohuu2 is getting pretty close. After that, who knows.

Hush

Post by Hush » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:50 pm

I think they said a few months ago, being optimistic mind you, that they had hoped for a re-integration by release 2.35 or so...So keep holding your breath for a little longer I guess since there should still be a few more releases before then :)

Homer_S

Post by Homer_S » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:30 pm

Thanks for the replys Hush and Saluk. Whatever the future of Game Blender I really hope they keep it under the blender umbrella. In other words to keep it all as one program. The CS rendering is intriguiging(sp?) but it would be a shame to have to model and program everything in Blender then export to a seperate app for rendering. Hopefully though they can get everything working for a 2.25 compatible version soon. :D

Again thanks for the responses.

jorrit

Post by jorrit » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:37 pm

Homer_S wrote:Thanks for the replys Hush and Saluk. Whatever the future of Game Blender I really hope they keep it under the blender umbrella. In other words to keep it all as one program. The CS rendering is intriguiging(sp?) but it would be a shame to have to model and program everything in Blender then export to a seperate app for rendering. Hopefully though they can get everything working for a 2.25 compatible version soon. :D

Again thanks for the responses.
Well, even if you use CS you can still integrate CS in Blender through a plugin. CS is very modular and it should be possible (with some work) to make an extension to Blender that integrates Blender with CS. So no need to go to a seperate executable.

Greetings,

iplayfast

Post by iplayfast » Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:45 pm

I'm surprised and delighted that CS is one of the Game engines being considered for Blender. Is Jorrit actively involved in the integration, or just being available when developers are stuck?

With all the possiblities of blender and CS put together, we've got a REAL KICK ASS SYSTEM!!!

Homer_S

Post by Homer_S » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:58 pm

Well, even if you use CS you can still integrate CS in Blender through a plugin. CS is very modular and it should be possible (with some work) to make an extension to Blender that integrates Blender with CS. So no need to go to a seperate executable.
Well if they can integrate CS like they did with Yafray, then I am as happy as a clam. :)

Homer_S

*Ack* triple posted :oops:
Last edited by Homer_S on Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Homer_S

Triple posted sorry. :oops:
Last edited by Homer_S on Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jorrit

Post by jorrit » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:39 am

iplayfast wrote:I'm surprised and delighted that CS is one of the Game engines being considered for Blender. Is Jorrit actively involved in the integration, or just being available when developers are stuck?

With all the possiblities of blender and CS put together, we've got a REAL KICK ASS SYSTEM!!!
As far as I know nobody started to work on this (yet). I don't have sufficient time to coordinate this myself but if such an integration project starts I will certainly participate and help with this.

Greetings,

alien-xmp

Post by alien-xmp » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:29 am

Saluk has posted a Windows compile with SOLID at http://www.spinheaddev.com/downloads/bl ... 2-3-04.zip game engine enabled.

The elysiun thread is here:
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20709

bmud

word

Post by bmud » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:38 am

http://dtecta.com/

and for those who didn't catch it, solid 3.5 is available (the one we were waiting for). so it's just a matter of time.

btw, that windows build is nowhere near perfect. don't overwrite your original

Apollux

Post by Apollux » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:07 am

I' m surprized that so far nobody mentioned PLIB as an alternative to CS http://plib.sourceforge.net/

joeedh

Post by joeedh » Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:22 am

*rewrittin*
I just copied the SOLID stuff from tuhopuu2 into the main blender tree. . .looks good. It compiles, and it works, though it is majorly buggy right now. Objects don't always bounce correctly, and on a driving game I downloaded the car kept falling beneath the gound, whenever it passed over an edge between two faces of a different texture.

I expect we'll see an announcement of a gameengine-enabled Blender within the next few weeks. Hopefully it won't take longer then that to iron out the bugs. Maybe I'll even have time to help. . .

joeedh

joeedh

Post by joeedh » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:46 pm

Apollux wrote:I' m surprized that so far nobody mentioned PLIB as an alternative to CS http://plib.sourceforge.net/
Why? CS is better. I've worked with PLIB before, and it doesn't have the features CS has.

joeedh

jd-multi

Post by jd-multi » Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:58 pm

Yeah joeedh, I hope we see it soon in full power like blender 2.25, but then without bugs, and new features. :D Well that's what I hope, nd maybe we see a release soon. 8)