Game Engine Status Thread

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

teachtech

Post by teachtech » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:38 am

I downlaoded the version and had the same problems with a model I made with the actor falling through the plane. I also noticed that it ran very slow compared to 2.25. Overall though, I'm pleased and grateful to see progress occuring in the game engine. I'm sure it's not an easy task trying to get it all working again. I can't wait until the day that I only need one version of Blender on all the computers in my lab at school.

Once again, thanks so much :D

gorgan_almighty

Post by gorgan_almighty » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:47 pm

In my opinion CS is the most feature-rich game engine out there, but gameblender offers the best compromise between features and production time. If we can get all the features of CS into blender while maintaining blenders ease of use, it'll be really REALLY great! :D

Btw, what happened about Ton's plans to go back to scratch with the Enji engine? Is he actually working on that? It would be interresting to see what that comes up with as well, although I don't think anything could beat a CS integrated 2.25 engine! :D

Keith. 8)

quaestor

Confused...

Post by quaestor » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:33 am

Could someone who actually knows sum up all the different players, and what they do re: the gameengine. Just things that have been closely associated with Blender in the past, not new external things (ie crystal space). For starters: ODE, SOLID, sumo, enji, "rendering engine", physics engine (which is called?...) etc. I can't keep track of how all these fragments fit together...
thx

q

jm

Post by jm » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:56 pm

...and what are you thinking about this physics engine :?:
http://www.physicsengine.com/
jm

Apollux

Post by Apollux » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:37 pm

Isn't that one a commercial + closed source product??? :?:

jesterKing
Site Admin

solid in bf-blender, test

Post by jesterKing » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:31 pm

http://www.letwory.net/cvsbuilds/bf_ble ... 309.tar.gz

A bf-blender with the tuhopuu2 solid gameengine. Solid statically compiled in. It's getting more and more stable. From saluk's blender game page I can play the driving/flying games. Crazy J is still somewhat buggy in control, but coldet is starting to work ok (but there are still issues).

/jesterKing

PS: this version accidentally has a partial implementation of an improved fileselector I work on. It doesn't affect the build in any way!

lemmy

Post by lemmy » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:37 pm

Hey, CS WOULD ROCK!!!! But what about openGL 2.0?
He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Visit L3D for cool 3D stuff!
Home of Legacy of Taro, the 3d action/adventure samurai game.

Hush

Post by Hush » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:44 pm

This thread is broken again...it doesn't show past post 60 when you 1st click 'page5'. You have to manually put in the number in the link to get to the end. Just and fyi for the forum admin.

jesterKing
Site Admin

builds to be tested...

Post by jesterKing » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:59 pm

Yesterday I finally managed to build bf-blender with tuhopuu2 soldi gameengine "from the box" with SCons, including solid and qhull in extern/.

Binaries for Linux and Windows can be found here:

http://www.letwory.net/cvsbuilds

Look for the svn_* builds (svn stands for subversion, a versioning system).

The Windows build lacks speed, so I need to look into compile flags, but basically this is what we had with 2.25. There might be still some minor issues, but Kester has done a great job.

I might be committing this soonish to bf-blender CVS.

/jesterKing

joeedh

Post by joeedh » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:30 am

How--how did you do that? I've been playing around with the new SOLID code for the last few weeks, and my builds had all kinds of bugs!

What compiler did you use? I use Cygwin/GCC 3.1.1. Fully updated.

And "Out of the Box"? I've never gotten SCons to work. . .

joeedh

Michel
Location: Somewhere below the rivers in Holland (but not Limburg)

Post by Michel » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:14 pm

joeedh wrote:What compiler did you use? I use Cygwin/GCC 3.1.1. Fully updated.

And "Out of the Box"? I've never gotten SCons to work. . .
Hi,

When I started with SCons, I added support for Cygwin as well. However, there was a small linking problem which I intended to fix when I had the time for it. Unfortunately I haven't had the time for that particular problem.
In the mean time, a lot has changed in the SCons setup, and I'm 100% sure not all of these changes are correctly translated/converted in the Cygwin setup.
So, until I have time to look at it, or somebody else has, the SCons Cygwin build is broken :(

Btw. jesterKing uses MSVS 7.

With regards,
Michel
You can have one of two things: Progress or Progress Reports.

jd-multi

Post by jd-multi » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:42 pm

It's a miracle, it works, it's comming back, and it sound like it has a future :P. please keep going on with this, I really wanna see blender 2.3X with game engine, so I can finally use just 1 blender version. :P

Btw, does the save as runtime feature also come back? because it's really usefull and makes us able to share games with people who don't have blender. :D

joeedh

Post by joeedh » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:35 am

Michel wrote:
Btw. jesterKing uses MSVS 7.

With regards,
Michel
I wonder why doesn't my builds with GCC work. Well, they *work*, but collision detection doesn't exactly work correctly (e.g. objects bounce off a plane, land, and then fall through it).

joeedh

jesterKing
Site Admin

Re: builds to be tested...

Post by jesterKing » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:15 pm

jesterKing wrote: The Windows build lacks speed, so I need to look into compile flags, but basically this is what we had with 2.25. There might be still some minor issues, but Kester has done a great job.
The slowness is probably because the standard compiler (msvc7, msvs7) doesn't do optimisation.

If you want to test building with scons, try checking out: http://www.jester-depot.net:8080/svnblender/blender SCons builds for me from those sources both on Windows and Linux. The subversion repository contains bf-blender sources, with tuhopuu2 game engine. (for subversion, see http://subversion.tigris.org )

/jesterKing

havocsoft

Post by havocsoft » Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:50 am

Where is the actor button on the game engine page?
-Compman
Webmaster, CompTeks.net
Founder, Admin, and Lead Developer, Havoc Software Productions