Game Engine Status Thread

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

teachtech

Post by teachtech » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:13 am

I push the websites and a few actually log on to look at post. They all want to do animation, but currently only about a dozen have gotten heavily involved

Lord_ZealoN

Post by Lord_ZealoN » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:21 pm

then, the blender team are thinking use cs for the game engine? or i have a mistake?

IngieBee

Post by IngieBee » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:57 pm

I think, although I havent read this hole thread in a long time, that the coolest idea people would love to see, is have the Blender game engine able to port directly to CS. So you can design and build parts or all of your game, then take all those models, logic, scripting, etc... and directily port them into CS. That way, you could take advantage of the wonderful and pretty darn easy to use Blender Game developement program and stick it into a very fast, very flexable game engine for refinement and speed. I'll put my money on it that this is exactly what will happen, and when it does, boy howdy, hold on to yer hats!!

Now stick NGB in there and you got da bomb! (that's really old now, isn't it??? hee hee hee)

But really, from what I understand, CS is made JUST FOR modular building games which would make such a proposal very possible to do. I only wish I were able to do it myself!! How cool it'd be......

Love Ingie

djcapelis

Post by djcapelis » Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:59 am

Alright, game engine update: Three different versions are working in T2 right now. You have your old solid game engine, your enji game engine, and the ODE one. You can use any of these, they all aren't working 100% (I think solid one has reverse compatability issues, which is why it's not pushed into bf-blender yet...) so grab T2 and go!

jorrit

Post by jorrit » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:15 pm

esuvs wrote: I believe it's also considered a bit old and unwieldy in terms of 3D engines, and something like OGRE or Nebula Project might be better.
I'm the project manager of Crystal Space so of course I'm VERY VERY biased. Take my opinions with a mountain of salt :-)

However, I can tell you that Crystal Space is currently undergoing a major 'refresh' operation where we are moving towards supporting the latest in 3D hardware technology. This includes shaders, fragment programs, stencil based lighting, scattering terrain engine, environment mapping, bumpmapping, and other effects.

Of course this is all in development (although the things I mentioned above all work) so this is not yet default enabled in the current version of Crystal Space.

Greetings,

jorrit

Post by jorrit » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:21 pm

Hi all,

Small introduction: I'm the project manager of Crystal Space.

I was made aware of this thread by someone so I decided to step in and give some information. I think it would be a great idea to try to integrate Crystal Space more tightly with Blender (what did you expect? :-)

Crystal Space is very modular and extensible so the design of Crystal Space allows for such integration relatively easily (there will always be problems but we can solve those).

Crystal Space is also currently undergoing a major refreshment in the area of latest 3D support. See my previous post in this thread about that. Note that this change doesn't affect user applications.

In short, if you decide on a project like this you can expect my full support and help with this. My email is jorrit.tyberghein at pandora.be

Greetings,

jsplifer

Post by jsplifer » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:26 am

jorrit,

I'm a huge fan of yours and I was very glad to see your update on the new renderer on your website a few days ago. AWESOME!

jsplifer

esuvs

Post by esuvs » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:38 pm

I think the approach I would take would be:

1) Reintegrate a basic game engine back into blender (probably the one based on SOLID). This will be 'the' blender game engine and will basically put us back in the same situation as in 2.25. It also avoids dependancies on external game engines. I think thios should be done before the next step.

2) Start a seperate project to provide a blender 'game player'. This would be a stand alone executable which would load a .blend file and play it in much the same way as it is played in blender. This would be the high quality game engine (which could be based on Crystal Space, SOLID/ODE, etc).

This might of been what people were thinking anyway, but I wasn't sure if you were looking to integrate Crystal Space 'into' blender. Something which probably wouldn't be easy...

Of course the alternative is to convert .blend files to CS files by means of a script from within blender (something which has already been looked at by the blender2cs script). This might be a feasable approach, depends really what information CS files hold (physics?, sound?, scripts?). If it's feasible it's good either way, both methods maintain seperation.

On a related note, how is the SOLID integration going? Last I heard kester was partly there but having some problems. Mailing lists been quiet on it the past few of weeks. I'd like to help with the engine eventually (renderer improvements or something), but don't really have the knowledge to get it working in the first place.

Regards,

David

Sutabi

Post by Sutabi » Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:41 am

i tried doing that but there was a small problem..... DNA Files it was a pain to try to remove everything that was not with the game engine.....After 2 days of tring I still could not get it working. No just removing all the drawing buttons and rebuilding your won would be easier but you would have a blender.exe that only runs the game engine and there 20 or so files that draws all the menus in blender....

jorrit

Post by jorrit » Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:13 am

esuvs wrote: Of course the alternative is to convert .blend files to CS files by means of a script from within blender (something which has already been looked at by the blender2cs script). This might be a feasable approach, depends really what information CS files hold (physics?, sound?, scripts?).
David
CS takes care of physics (through ODE) and sound. CS also has support for scripting plugins but there is no real game entity layer. If you want a game entity layer you should look at the CEL project (http://cel.sf.net) which is a companion project of CS.

Greetings,

nay

Post by nay » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:35 am

if CS uses ODE and the blend dev tree already has it integrated better than SOLID - maybe it would be a better idea to use ODE for the physics in blender so that integration with CS could be easier - i wonder if ODE is preferable for the blender coders too?

esuvs

Post by esuvs » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:54 pm

i tried doing that but there was a small problem..... DNA Files it was a pain to try to remove everything that was not with the game engine.....After 2 days of tring I still could not get it working. No just removing all the drawing buttons and rebuilding your won would be easier but you would have a blender.exe that only runs the game engine and there 20 or so files that draws all the menus in blender....
I wasn't suggesting the stand alone game engine should be based on the blender source code, in fact it probably shouldn't be (except perhaps for reading .blend files). I think that crystal space (though i haven't looked at it a lot) provides it's own windowing toolkit and mesageing/event system in order to ease crossplatform applications. This would typically be difficult to integrate into the blender windowing or messageing system. (not the fault of either app).
CS takes care of physics (through ODE) and sound. CS also has support for scripting plugins but there is no real game entity layer. If you want a game entity layer you should look at the CEL project (http://cel.sf.net) which is a companion project of CS.
Physics and sound is definatly good news, and could ease things considerably. Lack of an advancedd entity system is *probably* not a big problem, as I think blenders is fairly simplistic so we won't have games with anything to complicated anyway.
if CS uses ODE and the blend dev tree already has it integrated better than SOLID - maybe it would be a better idea to use ODE for the physics in blender so that integration with CS could be easier - i wonder if ODE is preferable for the blender coders too?
I would imagine that .blend or cs files simply store information on the properties of the objects (mass, etc), and so could be simulated equally well using ODE or SOLID. That said, there could be complications if the python scripts are able to call certain functions in SOLID, which would then be more difficult in ODE. But i don't think it's a big problem.

esuvs

Post by esuvs » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:55 pm

Sorry, double posted...
Last edited by esuvs on Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Homer_S

Post by Homer_S » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:38 pm

Well I have read this thread and I still don't know what is the future of the Game Engine in Blender. I know that the developer was having trouble integrating Solid into blender, was this resolved? Has anything definite been decided? Im not upset or anything, just curious as to whats happening and whats been decided.
If it is going forward? Is it going to be in the next release, two releases or should I just shut up and you'll let us know? :lol:
Last edited by Homer_S on Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Homer_S

status

Post by Homer_S » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:38 pm

:oops: Double posted :oops: