Buying Game Kit Blender Book?

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

FrozenFox

Buying Game Kit Blender Book?

Post by FrozenFox » Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:01 am

Now that Solid has been incoporated into Blender, should I buy the Blender Game Kit book? It might be quite old, but I think how to use things is quite the same.

Anyone opinions? Ton?

Sutabi

Post by Sutabi » Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:27 pm

Yes you should becuase its based on 2.25 I believe. Its should be a great started with some nice tips to game creation no matter if you using the game engine or not.

Again if you never really developed game before then this would be a nice choice ^_^ plus a lot of nice examples

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:03 am

I agree whole-heartedly! I have never been able to figure out any game engine type of software. I could see amazing potential in the power of Blender, but just could not get anything to work well from the tutorials on the net. I ordered the book in August, and I am now doing much better than I ever imagined. The book info covers ver.2.24, but works fine on 2.25.
It is basically very well written, and is a good intro to the Game engine.
Nothing else on the market compares!
regards,
Keith

greasyScott

Solid is in the latest Blender??

Post by greasyScott » Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:31 pm

Really? The latest news I've found on this site is that the Solid book is yet to be made available. Any integration of it will possibly be as a plug-in but nobody has picked up the project. Tuhopuu Blender still has the same game engine from 2.04.

All that said, Using 2.25 Publisher and the Gamekit book has taught me a great deal. I intend on creating some Machinima with this and don't really need all the bells and whistles that a "real" game engine has. It's lots easier for me to create content using Blender than Quake II open source.

I come from an animation background and the logic bricks are easy for me to understand.
Good judgement
tends to precede
good fortune

Homer_S

Re: Solid is in the latest Blender??

Post by Homer_S » Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:44 am

greasyScott wrote:Really? The latest news I've found on this site is that the Solid book is yet to be made available. Any integration of it will possibly be as a plug-in but nobody has picked up the project. Tuhopuu Blender still has the same game engine from 2.04.
Well here is some news from todays front page article that explains what is going on with SOLID, for the month of DEC 2003. It might make you smile :)
The source code to the Solid collision detection library was released as open source with the book Collision Detection in Interactive 3D Environments, and was immediately committed to the bf-blender and tuhopuu source code trees. Work is currently in progress to re-integrate Solid into Blender and bring back the long lost game engine.

matt_e

Re: Solid is in the latest Blender??

Post by matt_e » Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:17 am

greasyScott wrote:Really? The latest news I've found on this site is that the Solid book is yet to be made available.
It's available: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 5?v=glance

Michel bought it when it came out, and committed the code to the Blender CVS. Making it actually work properly again is another story and it's uncertain how long that will take.

greg_b

Post by greg_b » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:52 pm

So, whats the current situation with the game engine?

i know its not in the current 2.31a but what about 2.25?

i just tried importing the GameLogic module onlyy to be told it doesnt exist..

cheers

greasyScott

Open thine eyes

Post by greasyScott » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:22 pm

:oops:

Well, if I'd just open my eyes, I'd see that the book is available. The other news that it is being incorporated back into Blender is quite welcome.
Good judgement
tends to precede
good fortune