FMOD license

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

FrozenFox

FMOD license

Post by FrozenFox » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:24 am

:?:
I just installed Blender 2.25 to learn GameKit. It has FMOD info at start-up page. So what kind of license does Blender have regarding FMOD? Is it still in effect now? Specially when we paid $100,000 ( i think) last time around.

If we have the right to use FMOD within Blender game engine ( we can if the license we use is game engine license, which is US$ 5000 last time around) then I think when the new game engine is back in place, we should support al music file that FMOD support,

or are we going open source route, like using MikMod, etc?

greasyScott

Need the License Key?

Post by greasyScott » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:46 pm

On the download page:
http://www.blender3d.org/Download/

Where you will find, among other things, the most recent release of blender and the 2.25 version of blender. Just below the 2.25 download table, there is a link for the license key.

Download Publisher key file
(right-click, select 'Save Target As...')

And below that, there are installation instructions.
Good judgement
tends to precede
good fortune

Fred_Pyo

Post by Fred_Pyo » Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:58 am

I think that what he means is...

Is the licesnce for Blender to use FMOD still... valid...

hope it is still valid for a future 2.3x release with the game engine... i learned how to play MOD files with it... it's cool!

so, is it still... valid? or whatever the word is? or we changing our audio "engine" ?

Sutabi

Post by Sutabi » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:01 pm

last time I check there was a discussion about use OpenAl instead, becuase currently I think you can only sell 1000 copies

Fred_Pyo

Post by Fred_Pyo » Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:01 am

Isn't that copy limit due to NaN...? Or is it also an FMOD license limit?

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein » Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:03 pm

Fred_Pyo wrote:Isn't that copy limit due to NaN...? Or is it also an FMOD license limit?
This used to be a NaN limit and applies on the Publisher license/ Foundation key. If you want to sell more copies then you should donnate some money to the Blender Foundation. This has been answered several times!
The FMOD license also only applies on software you make. It's per title (which would mean Blender Publisher in this case - not every single game you create with Blender! Or are you integrating the lib in your Logic Bricks?! ;) ) or per site (a software developer/ development company) with unlimited titles. Non-commercial software is not charged - which doesn't mean that it is free! The problem with FMOD is not the FMOD license itself, it's the GPL. The GPL forbids linking GPLed software to a non-GPLed, -LGPLed or any other Free Software License library.

Fred_Pyo

Post by Fred_Pyo » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:50 am

Yeah I knew that when selling +1000 copies you could kindly give the fundation some... cash... :)

Oh... i see, so... I see, the license is... ok... don't worry I got it, I just wanted to know if the license was unlimited or limited. Thanx (and yeah, I understood that Free Software License thing...) :roll: