Blender as a Vj-ing tool

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

bobix

Post by bobix » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:05 pm

I do what you have say in your last reply.
I 've a new problem... or perhaps the same.

when i write with changing the space in tabs it doesn't work and i've the same error.
And when I remove one tab behind "return message" that write :
clear
-------
blender freezes,
and I must to force blender to quit.

pixelpixie

Open source VJing

Post by pixelpixie » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:25 am

I mess arount with open-source vjing tools for some time and also came to that point where I would like to use blender as vjing-tool.

I am also not a real coder but very interested in the development of an open source vj-ing environment.

Some ideas regarding the posts here:
- I think with SDL it is possible to capture MIDI on all platforms
- I have been using blender a lot in the pre-2.0-aera and there was the possibility to do avi-files as textures, maybe this just has to make it into the game engine (i personally dream of a video4linux device as input for a texture so I can dynamically assign videos or gephex-output to blender)
- a good feature would also be some basic audio processing (at least a a sound envelope) including beat detection

Personally I still have an unsolved problem (besides the segfault I get with 2.42 on my debian box): I have no plan how to set up a machine in a way that I see the output for the beamer and a preview on the other screen.
As my profession is usability engineer my interest is mainly to create a GUI for a blender-based vjing tool.

pildanovak

Post by pildanovak » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:01 pm

Hi, in my interface I did it this way-

beat detection - I used a key to "tap the rhythm in" by tapping the key several times and simply reading the dealy
-
preview
I had no preview but used the console to write out scene names, which scenes are currently in which layer and so on.

Once it happened to me that i was playing on a party where was so much smoke that i didn't see the projection at all. All i saw was a thin line on the border of the monitor and the text output, and sometimes I went to the stage to see how it looks :). with multiple viewports now, maybe you could make a little reference window in the main window and drag the window on the border of your monitors(monitor/projector), but that's quite hackish too :)

- if midi would be possible on all platforms... that would be great!
- about video textures - I think it's a big differnce that they are in the normal animation system, to get them in the engine, somebody would really have to make it completely. But Blender's game engine has now more coders, so maybe...

an-toni

Post by an-toni » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:25 pm

yep video textures would be fun, and pretty simple to do .. and is already in the Blender interface, so i guess it is just waiting to be added.

~Toni

pixelpixie

Video in GE

Post by pixelpixie » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:10 pm

Hy folks,

sorry i placed my post for video in GE wrong - it should be here but now it is on:
http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8434

a working example with video in the GE - nice :-)

F1LT3R

CAN I PLAY TOO?!

Post by F1LT3R » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:28 pm

:D HEY VJs!

I'm very excited to see this Thread as I've been trying to get various VJing programs working for at least a week! Let me introduce myself...

My name is Alistair MacDonald (aka Doctor Filter) and I've been working in video and music studios for about 5 years at the professional level. I've been in tons of bands and music groups and have many friends who are professional DJs working the London club scene and getting offered work DJing abroad at small festivals of 10,000 plus (which hire VJs). I also am good friends with a festival organiser who lives down the street from myself who also hires VJs for his festivals. That is my background.

I started using the Game-Engine of blender about a week ago; and it was not long before I discovered the possibility of complex real-time graphics and scene overlays. If you would like to get an idea of what I have already achieved, please download the small m-peg examples from my website. (I've put some pictures here to show you what you will be downloading.

-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-

http://www.doctorfilter.com/blends/FlairTrails.mpg

http://www.doctorfilter.com/blends/Whip.mpg

http://www.doctorfilter.com/blends/PlasmaMap.mpg

http://www.doctorfilter.com/blends/NeonWipe.mpg

http://www.doctorfilter.com/blends/trippy.blend

-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-

I’ve also added these links to the Elysiun forums to generate some interest, hopefully if we get enough people excited, we can really get this project moving forward; and hopefully get MIDI support implemented to the next version of Blender! I think it’s very important for Blender 3D that this happens, the thought of being able to position and rotate my objects in 3D space with the control knobs on my M-Audio O2 keyboard is nothing short of amazing.

Imagine having the midi set-up in a Blender-Tab / Buttons-Window and being able to assign different commands to different MIDI inputs and values. I’m sure you will agree, this functionality would make the use of Blender EXTREMELY dynamic. This would provide Blender with a "Stage Presence", and as people became aware of what could be done in real-time, I’m certain the user-base would grow rapidly!!!

THE QUESTION:
I have been trying to get different versions of VJing .blends to work for a week. I’ve tried many different versions of Blender, Python and Midipy; which has left me very confused as to why nothing is happening on my screen. If someone could explain to me which versions of which systems I need, I would be able to join you on this exciting project and contribute 20+ hours a week to making this happen. And once we have something cool to show the hard-core of Blender developers, they will snap up MIDI implementation like a thirsty man discovering water.

Let us all work to the same standards:
1. Blender Version
2. Python Version
3. Midipy Version
4. Installation instructions

Looking forward to getting some feedback from you guys,
Happy blending!

PS: I'm thinking about setting up some webspace for this with a user-limited Wiki ect if you guys are interested.
>>>---[F1LT3R]---|>

Shaba1

Post by Shaba1 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 am

Ok this is going to show my age but what the hell is "VJING"?

F1LT3R

What is VJing?

Post by F1LT3R » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:18 am

VJing is like DJing but instead os music... video. :)

Have you really never been to a rave?
>>>---[F1LT3R]---|>

F1LT3R

Project underway!

Post by F1LT3R » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:29 am

So I've gone ahead and started the project!

:shock:

I hope nobody minds. I'm working from scratch with Python 2.4 and Blender 2.41. I'm using Python to call the Win32 APIs with success so far. So everything is up-to-date.

I have tons of great ideas for this. Getting excited! :lol:

I've started a Dev page for anyone who's interested. I'd love some help from Linux and Mac people if they can (I'm Win32). :roll:

http://somethingfruitful.com/imers3d/
>>>---[F1LT3R]---|>

Olm-Z

Post by Olm-Z » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:42 pm

Hi all ...

I've been VJing since year 2000 and always used 3d ... this topic is quite interresting, I'wonder how this has not florished more earlier, since there is already more than one software to VJ with 3d ...

Only that most are quite special app that have to be handled quite in a special way .... and most are not free at all.

I know for being co-founder of Cimatics.com vjing festival as well as lead artist on this system ( http://www.woaw.biz ).

But...

As in cultural events most the time there is not enoegh budget for expensive hard and software, I was searching for a system allowing me to perform for cheap, for live improvisations and also permanent interractive video installations.... the opensource way seems to me also the ethical one.

blender, with the recent development on GE seems to be really promising ... those midi inputs are realy cool ...

but If Nay could tell me how he use OSC with PD I would also find it realy usefull, as I already use it for movement capture...

for me blender's GE lack only 2 things to be really useful as VJ tool : render to texture and video texture.

I will try that special video texture build for sure (see the other tread)... but more info/implementation on this would be a killer add... with the GLSL shaders we could build nearly any triping surfaces and mix we could dream of.

F1LT3R

Woaw!

Post by F1LT3R » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:53 pm

:) Hi there,

Not sure what to make of Waow. I know there are two big opensource veejaying programs that looks pretty good, but I dont think anyone has used built a purely OpenGL environment before.

I'm sure it wont be too long before I have video layers working (I've already seen one implimentation), and yes, you can use "non UV" textures these days in Blender. They are currently developing Mp4 streaming into Blender 3D, so I think it wont be long before I can put some powerful video composition into the OpenGL real-time environment.

Watch this space.

I actually had a festival organiser come over yesterday fternoon to see what I was making, and I let him have a go himself. He loved it so much he didn't want to give the controls back, and is now insisting that I come work with him live.

I think I'm going to post some videos up of the outside-inside control of this iMERS3D system, it's pretty simple, yet amazingly fun.
>>>---[F1LT3R]---|>

pixelpixie

cross forum stuff

Post by pixelpixie » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:29 pm

hy folks,

again the elysiun-forum contains material related to blender as a vjtool, this time a thread called "python actuator necessities" - one posting deals with video capturing.

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 688#600688

happy blending ;-)

funkybuzz

Post by funkybuzz » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:59 pm

Hi all .
So it's possible to control an animation with a midi controler or sending from a sequencer midi midi notes, in the game mode, if I have understand the previous posts, and then bake them into ipo curves to control classic animation ???

I've tried many midi configurations for a show syncing video and sound .
If I could plug blender into that ... :D

And if I can launch actions in blender on midi from a sequencer !

But I didn't understand wich script with which version of blender .

Thanks

Nice anims F1LT3R !

Olm-Z

Post by Olm-Z » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:58 pm

hi all : watch this threads in elysium/blenderartists forum for a new video texture plugin ... (only on win32 for now)

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65107

julianoliver

Sending Blender events to PD/MaxMSP (and vice versa)

Post by julianoliver » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:24 pm

hi there, I just came across this thread. even though it's old i'm going to write here anyway.

i have a HOWTO on my site i wrote in September last year demoing how one might add Open Sound Control messaging to a Blender project. this allows you to use PureData or MaxMSP as a sound engine for Blender game engine projects, or use OSC sending programs to control events in Blender itself. you can also use OSC for two-way communication between Blender projects local or remote to each other.

why OSC? OSC is far superior to MIDI which is very low resolution by comparison. OSC also gives you floating point control data, and also provides the option to 'bundle' messages of different types (strings, int, float, etc).

Here's the link:

http://selectparks.net/~julian/index.ph ... 908-212057

Here's the link to the pyKit (Python OSC) implementation, as it seems their site is currently down:

http://selectparks.net/~julian/share/pyKit.tar.gz

cheers,

julian