Blender as a Vj-ing tool

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

levon

Post by levon »

pildanovak, i have gotten yours working, but with out midi, i had to coment out the top few lines of the initmidi and i can control it with the key board.

one problem that reocurs constintly , when i change layer 1 or 2, they will flash on and then disapear, but layer 3 always seems to work fine.

and i couldnt get it woking in tuhopuu, probably cause the blender module isnt there.

levon

Post by levon »

i was working on this blender project, blended midi, which uses midi to control ipo animations.

its now a bit out dated, an only works with python pre 2.28, the web site is at http://projects.blender.org/projects/blendedmidi/.

hope thats useful.

an-toni

Post by an-toni »

levon wrote:pildanovak,

(..)

and i couldnt get it woking in tuhopuu, probably cause the blender module isnt there.
same problem with 2.33 - seems that Blender.Scene is used in Pildanovak's app to get information about the Scenes .. I wonder what could be done to solve that problem

handling Blender scenes nicely is something (yet) missing from my library too (an idea was to try 'port' Pildanovak's thing to my framework to see if the framework is any good.. more about that in http://studio.kyperjokki.fi/engine/KyperMover/ at least if/when i/someone has time to do it..)

~Toni

pildanovak

Post by pildanovak »

yes, it still works only in 2.25. In 2.33, the Blender modules are disabled. But in my script, the main reason to use the Scene module was a bug which caused the scene actuator not to work properly(setScene), so i just coppied all the objects from the wanted scene to one of omty scenes used as layers. The scene actuator caused also the bug that sometime the scenes appeared only when the key was hold down.
Maybe i'm going to remake the script, so that all the processes which need the Blender modules would be somehow done "in before"(there aren't many), so the script would work in blender 2.33

an-toni

Post by an-toni »

now we of course have the change to get those bugs with Scene actuators fixed for coming releases, so that not the Blender module nor any workarounds would be needed for that anymore..

an-toni

Post by an-toni »

ah and more importantly:

1. as you perhaps noticed, i'm also using the technique of adding objects from other layers to the visible one, instead of switching scenes (although scenes would be useful for other purposes) - must yet check in more detail if our technique is exactly the same or somehow different

2. i've also thought of doing pre-realtime preparing things with the normal Blender Python API - mainly the things that must now be written by hand in the setup file (names of the objects to use in the setup, names of their actions, lengths of the actions etc.) - both a) a GUI script for configurating and b) deriving settings as much as possible from the Blender object data would be great to have

do you think we could start pulling this off in a joint effort?

~Toni / <antont>

an-toni

update on documentation

Post by an-toni »

i updated the documentation of the kypermover-system a bit, mostly relevant to you might be the UML class diagram of the current implementation - feel free to check http://an.org/gradu2/ out.

the idea is to make another diagram of how to develop further, input welcome!

~Toni / <antont>

levon

Post by levon »

i think we should do a joint effort :) maybe start a project at http://projects.blender.org/.

one idea i have had;
you could control the rotation of each object by midi controlers, i have sliders and knobs on my keyboard, could use them to set the speed
ie, 64 is not moving, 0 is full left, 127 is full right for rotation, or could be used for paning even controling animation(if thats posible)

im gonna try and re write the midi part from scratch, not thats theres anything wrong with the P mans work, i just want to understand it better.

an-toni, your doing your thesis on this? what subject/ degree is that for?

this would could be a possibility for you to look at in it http://arrowtheory.com/hypersense/, alternative methods of controling midi, and etc

im gonna email them, they live about a 15 hour drive from me :) so hopefuly they might want to help us out, there project also uses python, so it could be helpful :)

pildanovak

Post by pildanovak »

levon>
one idea i have had;
you could control the rotation of each object by midi controlers, i have sliders and knobs on my keyboard, could use them to set the speed
ie, 64 is not moving, 0 is full left, 127 is full right for rotation, or could be used for paning even controling animation(if thats posible)
this is the method i use for controlling. but not allways. i have updated my sources they are on the same link as the previous file(sorry with the content it's now 3times bigger). In the InitMidi Script, there are some properties for mapping controllers dynamically so you can connect any controllers to any layer or even the same controller to more layers/actions. if you looked on my file, you could see how i assigned the controllers.

an-toni

Post by an-toni »

thanks for the info Pildanovak, dunno if will have the time to check the update this week but hopefully soon.. did play a little with the previous version last week

about Levon's controlling suggestion: in my system there is an abstraction for that, called Controller, and currently implemented only by Slider, and the idea is that basically anything can be used to get the slider value - so should be easy to hook midi to that too, although so far i've only used the mouse x&y axes as wannabe sliders

for controlling animations there is the 'scrub mode', toggled with tab, that currently maps animation playback position to a slider called 'horizontal' (which is the mouse x axis) - for rotating i've only used the arrowbuttons so far, but especially with midi sliders what you suggest would really make sense .. and should be really easy to do too

and all this should be easily configurable by the user when making the preset, allowing changing the control bindings on the fly too (like the tab/scrubmode currently does)

levon

Post by levon »

are either of you guys working on this at all?

ive been doing some vjing with pre rendered material over the past 2 months would be great to start using dynamic stuff :)

i think it would be great to start a colabrative project, but i havent started modifing the code incase you have made significant modifications.

pildanovak

Post by pildanovak »

I've changed the project so that it now works in 2.33(i just moved all operations which use Blender libraries to a saparate script, which has to be run after adding any scenes.),and made some new content and used Blender realtime on 2 or 3 partis, it worked nicely. I've removed support for presets. The whole code is a mess, but it's so short that remaking it wouldn't be a probleme for an intermediate coder. I'll try to post in several hours...

levon

Post by levon »

thats great news, i think i will try to use it at one of my coming gigs hopfuly.

cant wait to see what you have done with it

pildanovak

Post by pildanovak »

uh, shit.... i've realised that there's a big problem with the newest builds. All of the controlled objects in my scenes have a "position" property, to set the position in the ipo, but through this name is addresed the object's position in the 3d coordinates in the new builds, so by now, use only the official 233, or even 2.32, that should work.

midi is disabled, if you want to use it, remove all # before lines, which initialize midipy or read midi properties, it should be commented. Mouse is enabled, but works somehow weird. The scenes can show ehough of how to use the messages distributed in the midiArray, with the scripts which convert the information either to the position or speed of the ipo, the distribKnobs property is important, it specifies to which real controller will the controller porperty in the scenes be assigned.

when remaking the scripts or making new content, try to use a new property instead of position(ipoPos is the name which i want to use, it shows what's meant by it)

http://server.ffa.vutbr.cz/~novak/files ... 233net.zip

I would like to see if it's usable for you, bye.

an-toni

Post by an-toni »

uh, i think i've got position0, position1, .. etc. for animation (action) control .. so shouldn't be a problem.
pildanovak wrote: property instead of position(ipoPos is the name which i want to use, it shows what's meant by it)
iirc i've been using a property called ipo for that, but haven't used them much yet (first and still useful use was for camera zoom)
pildanovak wrote: http://server.ffa.vutbr.cz/~novak/files ... 233net.zip

I would like to see if it's usable for you, bye.
i think i'll have the time to check that out by the end of July, 'cause will be trying to wrap up the master thesis i've been working on about this .. there are some possibly interesting updates, feel free the check out the work-in-progress at http://an.org/gradu2/

~Toni