Web-pligin download question, clarifications.

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

vetzeen

Web-pligin download question, clarifications.

Post by vetzeen » Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:57 am

Hi, I have just heard that the opensource release has been out. (Been out doing non-3d stuff for a while now)

I have some questions people would be shy to ask but better safe than sorry.

Ok, scince the plugin is released opensource I went to get a copy of the binary at the most common place, download3d.com. I checked the license (http://www.blender3d.com/cms/Blender_3D ... 208.0.html)
and it said :
2.2. Server Use. With respect to the Blender Stand Alone Player and Blender 3D Plug-in only, and subject to the terms of this Agreement, you may install one copy of such Software on a computer file server within your internal network for the sole and exclusive purpose of using such Software (from an unlimited number of client computers on your internal network) via (a) the Network File System (NFS) or (b) Windows Terminal Services. Unless otherwise expressly permitted hereunder, no other server or network use of the Software is permitted, including but not limited to using the Software (i) either directly or through commands, data or instructions from or to another computer or (ii) for internal network, internet or web hosting services.

2.3 No Modification. You may not alter or modify the Software or create a new installer for the Software. The Software is licensed and distributed by NaN for viewing, distributing and sharing .blend files. You are not authorized to integrate or use the Software with any other software.
Questions:

Would that mean that the binary on the download page is the non-opensourced version of the plugin?

If so, could I just download the plugin code from source and compile it with my machne to get around this? (the code is open source I assume)

Or is it just that the licenesing page not applicable anymore and I could pretend that the content is the gpl preamble for the mean time?

Thanks in advance.

Saluk

Post by Saluk » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:09 pm

Yeah anything related to blender that mentions NaN is not the open source version. There has been some talk about the open source version of the plugin, but no work has been done yet to get it built. It's not a simple compile and distribute job, there are a lot of issues with the code that was used before the open source.