T2 Screenshots.

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

dandeloreon1984

Post by dandeloreon1984 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:03 am

hmm... i also can't wait for unreal engine 3, but there is sort of an problem, there is no support for the unreal file formats... except for hte ase file format...

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... pic&t=3259

note: i would like to see an ase exporter included with blender, but it should be based on the one that was at piffle.org.

levon

Post by levon » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:04 am

import and export scripts dont realy have anything to do with the game engine

awalker

Post by awalker » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:46 am

About the anaglyph stereo, is it possible to have it in color instead of blue and red. Say like the film bionical in lego land ???

levon

Post by levon » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:20 pm

to get it in colour all you have to do is put the green into the blue channel, making it cyan. it would be cool to have the option of red/blue, red/green or red/cyan and also be able to set the distance between the cameras, and the seperation of the images on the screen. though obviously this is all still in development, this is just a wish list. :D

thanks alien-xmp

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:03 pm

awalker wrote:About the anaglyph stereo, is it possible to have it in color instead of blue and red. Say like the film bionical in lego land ???
but, iirc that isn't possible to see on a computer montor

iirc, the way it is done is this

you wear polarized glasses [they are grey], and one lens is oriented [the polarized part] 90 degrees different from the other.

so, before you understand that, I need to explain essentially how lcd displays work

so, the liquid crystal in lcd displays is polarized, and there is a polarized layer on top of them

the liquid crystal changes [turns the polarization] when a current is applied, and this isn't visible unless viewed through a polarized film [which is on top of such lcds], in which case it turns black

okay, so back to the theatre

the image for the left and right eyes are projected through polarized films as well, and [like the lenses] one is rotated 90 degrees

so, one eye will the the image for the other eye through the lenses as black because of the rotation of the polarized things, this allows color and both images projected at once

however, if you turn your head sideways 90 degrees the illusion will fail, the images your eyes see will be swapped

so, back to my point

computer monitors aren't implemented as two seperate projectors, there is no way to have the alternate polarization on the same spot on screen so you couldn't get that effect

that said, there are displays where for example there is a wavy lens which will show each eye its own picture on the [higher resoultion vertical interlaced more-or-less] display, if you head is properly positioned

that shouldnt' require extra effort to take advantage of in blender, but I do not think any blender users have such displays

awalker

Post by awalker » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:18 am

Ok, but even if monitors can't do polarize, there are still other methods that may come close. There's Chroma depth http://www.3dglassesonline.com/3d-chrom ... index.html and true view http://www.3dglassesonline.com/3d-truev ... index.html Would any of these work ? I seen polarize films without the glasses and it looks more like a blur on top the original image.

levon

Post by levon » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:03 am

there is already a chromatek thing for rendering in tuhopuu, in the edit buttons chromadepth, then turn the material to Vcol tex or light.

it would be cool to be able to change the type of 3d glasses in it.

mpan3

Post by mpan3 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:07 am

were you aware that the unreal 3 engine is slow on current hardware?
as in, unusuably slow...
6800 is current HW, and YES even on an 6800, the UE3 tech demo runs at a minimun acceptable frame rate... But nice stuff, Kester! I hope all of those (including the accum. buffer) will be implemented into the next release.

Now we are finally getting somewhere with the Blender game engine, I mean, people are comparing it to the UE3 engine! Can't wait! :D

mpan3

Post by mpan3 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:11 am

levon wrote:we dont need mouse x and mouse y seperate components, this can be done in python realy easily.

the only one i would like to see is a midi input, but i know that its not something that will get into it unless i code it myself, so it will be a while.
I agree with R2Blend, I believe we should implement as many feature as possible into the main UI, instead of telling people to code it in Phython. :x

levon

Post by levon » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:52 am

mpan3 wrote:
levon wrote:we dont need mouse x and mouse y seperate components, this can be done in python realy easily.

the only one i would like to see is a midi input, but i know that its not something that will get into it unless i code it myself, so it will be a while.
I agree with R2Blend, I believe we should implement as many feature as possible into the main UI, instead of telling people to code it in Phython. :x
sure but there are other things more importaint then rewriting something that can allready be done.

http://snailrose.home.bresnan.net/tmp/tutorial.zip has a tutorial on how to use the mouse x and y components.

capanegra

Post by capanegra » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:15 pm

I like to see a specific blender window for the game engine scripts

bmud

Post by bmud » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:59 am

I like to see a specific blender window for the game engine scripts
The text window is just that.

And as for those of you who say "those of us who don't know python," I want to tell you that it takes minutes to pick up, really.

theserpentlord

creature from the black lagoon

Post by theserpentlord » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:55 pm

many years ago I saw 3D glasses with LCD shutters that allow you to see stereoscopic 3D on a regular computer monitor (by alternating left/right images.) They were demoing Descent - now that's old.

Since I was born cross-eyed and have no depth perception, I didn't see much point to it :) (except that they magnified the screen so you could use a wider camera angle and get more peripheral vision.)

Doogs

Post by Doogs » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:17 pm

I still believe though that there should be sensor bricks for mousemoves and even some sort of "mouselook" brick for easier modular access. I believe most of these functions should be bricked so that artists or even children who dont program may actually make a functional game in literally seconds.

RonC