Can blender use PC ports?

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

luchog

Can blender use PC ports?

Post by luchog »

:D
Hello:

I want to know if there is a way to send/receive characters using PC serial or parallel port with Blender game engine?

Thanks in advance

Luis Gomez B.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

not directly

... in linux you could probably just open the device like any other linux app [except in python...], but I don't think there is a way to do the same thing in windows [I don't belive those devices are accesable to python, but I could be wrong]

levon

Post by levon »

there have been a few people asking this before, i think pygame was the best choice, though i dont know if anyone got it working

joeri

Post by joeri »

We got pc ports working at NaN with a python module with help of directX.
The blender alien if from a light gun shoot game that was made at NaN.
Now,..... that's no help is it.

luchog

Post by luchog »

:?
OK,
I am working on WinXP machine,
This coments make me think that it is possible,
joeri: can you tellme something more about it?
z3r0_d: what do you mean? Do you know how?
levon: Why do you think pygame was the best choice?

If it is not possible, can blender game engine send and receive messages to/from other Windows applications? (apps that can drive ports).

Thanks a lot.

Luis Gomez B.

arangel

Post by arangel »

The Blender game engine with a little Python can read and write to text files. That can be used as an interface to other programs.
Alexandre Rangel
Multimedia Designer
www.3Dzine.com.br

CubOfJudahsLion

Post by CubOfJudahsLion »

For inter-process messaging, you can use the Python socket interface. What I don't know is whether the Python core in blender includes them, so you may need a full Python install. Big deal, it's free.

The other alternative is more complicated. 1) You have to write very low-level code in Windows to access devices, which 2) requires lots of C/C++ programming. This solution is still possible (if not feasible) since there's a way of 3) writing functions in C/C++ that Python can call (this last part actually isn't that hard.)

ysvry

Post by ysvry »

python is slow cant there be a better way for joystick detection? directx was made for this and garantees compatibility .

levon

Post by levon »

ysvry wrote:python is slow cant there be a better way for joystick detection? directx was made for this and garantees compatibility .
not for mac or linux though. there has been a joystick actuator added to blender in teh past few months, so you might want to try that out.