Can I make a Nintendo DS game using the Blender game engine?

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Yingster

Can I make a Nintendo DS game using the Blender game engine?

Post by Yingster » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:06 am

I recently got myself a Nintendo DS. While I was doing research on it I came across a couple sites that told me how to make my own games. I just need to buy the card, programer, and software.

My problem is, I don't know how to program in C. I was wondering if it was at all posible to save the games I have made as a text file with all the code (in C) so that I may just copy and paste it in to the compiler. After that it should be as simple as load the code on to the chip then test it.

Say we can do it, imagen the posibilities. Nothig said that we had to make games. We could make it a PDA or even a color graphing calculator. There really is no limit.

If this is not posible, how hard would it be to make it posible in a later version?
You will all understand me the day I rule the world!

indigomonkey

Post by indigomonkey » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:28 am

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but where were these sites?

Sutabi

Post by Sutabi » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:00 am

Blender GE is developed in C++. Exporting to a C file it not possible. It is possible to export to a c++ file and compile, but it would require a direct disconnection of the GE source, which was fully intended to be intergrated into blender.

Caronte

Re: Can I make a Nintendo DS game using the Blender game eng

Post by Caronte » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:13 am

Yingster wrote:Can I make a Nintendo DS game using the Blender game engine?
No and you never will be able to do that
Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com

Sutabi

Post by Sutabi » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:49 pm

Never? Everything is a possibilty, hell there was plans to make PS1 games with blender GE.

Sadly Nintendo DS is far too new for any free GNU projects to come out with a solid lib. Till then you'll need to purchase an SDK from Nintendo, and they are picky, very picky & priced for what they hand out.

joeri

Post by joeri » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:39 pm

Okay, lets get some things straight.

The blender game engine is an interpreter.
You put in data, it makes it into a game on the device blender GE runs on.

Currently Blender GE 2.04(OpenSource) is ported to Windows CE.
Blender GE 1.80 (ClosedSource) is ported to PS1.
Blender GE 2.25 (License) is ported to: Linux, OsX, Windows and to IE5 & Netscape for Windows.
Blender GE 2.36 (OpenSource) is ported to: Linux, OsX, Windows.

In this I consider Blender GE 2.x to be something different from Blender2.x: Blender is the game developement environment and Blender GE is the player.

There is no development to port blender to any console a.t.m.

To let blender write a tekst file that can be compiled with a c compiler is a new idea. (nice one).
This would need a rewrite of the current game engine in blender that is written in c++. But who said the DS env is in C?
Or a conversion of the game logic made with blender to an existing (console) game engine. I have not seen any project doing that (or maybe the cristal space project is exactly that?)

Sutabi

Post by Sutabi » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:16 pm

For an easier way, you'll need to intergrate you own lil converter with the logic bricks. Which is a lot easier the intergrating the engine into blender.
Problem a lot of the code will be hacking until someone developes a solid base code of ogre,cystalspace etc. I've used ogre and I know that it would need addtional libs to intergrate sound.

Hell if someone wanted, they would parse blender's binary files read the logic bricks and rest of the data, take pygame and make their own opengl renderer. Only reason I refer to python is that IS what the Blender GE is all about. It would require less intergration (no python embeded into C++), for faster development time @ cost of speed.

Anyways CS & Ogre are purely PC platform currently, but both have the ability to be ported to a console, since they use a general render system, and adding a gaming Console's SDK is within reach as another renderer.

Yingster

Post by Yingster » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:55 pm

For those who wanted the sites here they are:

http://www.dspassme.com/

http://www.natrium42.com/

http://darkfader.net/ds/

http://www.kraln.com/

There are lots more sites, just start clicking on the links.

One round about way I came up with is, compile the game code(in C++) to assembly, then from there back to C. I am sure that there are some programs that can do that. The problem here is that some things might be lost in the translations.

For joeri who said "who said the DS env is in C?" I don't think it is. I think that the program compiles the C code in to a languge that the DS can understand.

Try going to some of those sites to get some more info. There may be a program already out there that uses C++ from the begining.
You will all understand me the day I rule the world!

joeri

Post by joeri » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:05 pm

Yingster wrote: For joeri who said "who said the DS env is in C?" I don't think it is. I think that the program compiles the C code in to a languge that the DS can understand.
I was wondering if the DS developers code was C or C++.
The PS1 code was/is C. I think for Xbox there is a C++ compiler.

kniffo

Post by kniffo » Tue May 10, 2005 11:41 am

Well to give you some hope again, it is possible. :) ... in a certain way ...

You just have to go away from the imagination that you can use Blenders engine. You will have to write your own engine and then you can use Blender like you would use 3dsmax. You will create your objects and maybe levels in blender, export them by using Python implemented exporters and use the exported data in your DS-engine.

"Using" Blender's engine would mean to recreate the complete kernel code towards DS compatibility which is not possible at the moment.

KDR_11k

Post by KDR_11k » Wed May 11, 2005 3:36 pm

Whatever you're doing you better hope it has performance a few orders of magnitude better than the Game Engine. The DS doesn't have any ressources to spare for the overhead general purpose functions generate, a Blender Game would kill the hardware even if it had only one fourth of the complexity a DS game can have.