Using a Ogre as Blender game engine

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

joeri

Post by joeri »

Yes, but by engine you mean graphics right? not logic.
Or is it possible to make something like a plug-in graphics and a different plug-in logic?
There are no (open) logic engines out there right?

I found the logic bricks a nice start, but it just does not work well enough.
1. Inter-object communictaion is always 2 frames to late.
2. Building fuzzy logic and AI with bricks is just hell.
3. State engine with bricks is very hard to debug.
4. Scene management (overdraw, scene flipping, file save, data loading) is just not there.

OGRE does not do any of this right? I need to be a c++ programmer to make a little game for my daughter.
We can put a man on the moon, but a nice 3d game kit seems to far fetched :)

zingbat

Post by zingbat »

joeri wrote:Yes, but by engine you mean graphics right? not logic.
Or is it possible to make something like a plug-in graphics and a different plug-in logic?
A plug-in is just a little programming interface that lets an engine communicate with Blender and Blender communicate back. By implementing the plugin interface both know how to communicate with each other.

Ogre is not a game engine, other things like game physics, and input must be done by third-party apis. In principle the person doing the engine would have to integrate, for example, Ogre, ODE (physics and collision and open source) and SDL (input and also open source) into a game engine then implement the plugin interface. From Blender options it would be just a matter of selecting the .dll that would be used by the game engine and you could use Blender for games just like you are used to.

pildanovak

Post by pildanovak »

may i ask how big the difference between ogre and crystalspace is? There are several parallel discussions about alternative engines in blender

joeri

Post by joeri »

What I understand from the seq plug-ins is that it's some external code managed by others that have a little pipeline to blender to get data across.

So the advantage of using ogre/cs as an external scene graph would be that others (non blender coders) keep the scene graph up to date with modern gfx-cards. Wich is probably a good idea.

Leaves the game logic (the hardest part to making games I think) open for improvement. How come (if I may ask) that there is nobody (as far as I know at least) doing any game logic editors?
There seem to be alot of scene graph projects (full of 'crazy' md2 implementations etc.) but no front-end editors. Is this a boring thing to create or just to hard?

Iv'e worked some time with the current blender game engine (made a chapter in the blender creatin kit book, blenderball), I've also worked with the previous blender game engine. Even with the Sgi/PS1 version wich had no python at all. And my findings are that the bGE lacks some high level game making parts.
[Sure I can programm everything in python, but then why have a GE? I might as will do it all in C++ around OGRE if I wanted to programm.]

Small steps seem to be the answer to get big projects done. But I've been around blender some time now and I keep seeing people starting over and over again with the same scene graph steps. I wonder when somebody will start with the game logic part, and bring game creation into people's home.

I don't know enough about coding to do any work on this projects myself, although I'd realy love to. But I can share my experiences with the bGE. If anyone wants a 'report' or something then you can contact me, I would be glad to help.

zingbat

Post by zingbat »

joeri wrote: Leaves the game logic (the hardest part to making games I think) open for improvement. How come (if I may ask) that there is nobody (as far as I know at least) doing any game logic editors?
Anyone interested in working with that would have to know a lot of Blender source to do it. The only way I know to have a good visual programming editor (i assume you mean a form of graphical programming) would be to have a visual editor for logical circuit diagrams that represent objects and behaviors, like the one in the link i have shown in a previous answer.

joeri

Post by joeri »

Have you seen this one?
http://www.blender.org/modules/document ... oposal.pdf
(The one in the blender docs)

In our experience with the current blender editor at NaN we found some part needed improvement before even trying to make a game with blender.
I'd also think some basic start sets would be a good improvement: Web based 3d adds (or puzzles) need other sensors (better call them triggers anyway) than a mario or a fps would need.
For example building a mouseover with sensors is possible, but a mouseover event/trigger would be more handy in a puzzle game.

I'd love to write a Game Logic GUI, but I have no idea how to start, and my programming levels don't really exceed MEL, VB, PHP and C. :(

zingbat

Post by zingbat »

The Blender game logic is very limited the way it is, but it makes sense with the theory and it's a step into the right direction. It could be improved if we were able to create our own sensors and actuators from Blender scripts. For most complex cases it's more convinient to direct all sensors input and all actuators to a single controler.

If you want to know more about AI check out this book. This is one of the best books for introducing AI:

http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu

Read the slides of chapter 2. Sounds amazingly familiar to the Blender game logic proposal doesn't it ?

http://aima.eecs.berkeley.edu/sl...02-6pp.pdf

It's no suprise. The game logic is very restricted but it has solid foundations. It just needs to be improved and made more flexible.