Alternative GameBlender Based on Crystal Space

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

jorrit

Alternative GameBlender Based on Crystal Space

Post by jorrit » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:25 pm

A new project is born! The plan is to make an alternative to GameBlender with Crystal Space and CEL (http://www.crystalspace3d.org). From discussions on the blender mailing lists and IRC channel it appears that the current GameBlender is not developed a lot anymore and has several problems. That's why we decided to embark on this new project.

BTW: we are looking for a good name for this project. Please send us good suggestions!

We will start this project independent from Blender to start with. Basically here is the plan:
  • First I started creating a viewer based on blend2cs. This viewer will read a .blend file and create a 3D world at runtime.
    The second step is that Erwin Coumans (developer on Blender and GameBlender) will help me add the existing GameBlender? game logic to this program. When this is ready we will be able to play existing GameBlender? games (if all goes well).
    The third step is that we create an alternative game logic system based on CEL. This will not be compatible with the old GameBlender? game logic so probably we will keep both options in the program. At least initially.
    The fourth step is to look at how to integrate this with Blender itself.
    Finally we can see how Blender itself can be extended to allow more actuators/sensors/controllers which are possible in CEL.
I think this will be a great opportunity to show how two big Open Source projects can work together for a nice game creation kit.

Greetings,

--
Project Manager of Crystal Space (http://www.crystalspace3d.org)
and CEL (http://cel.crystalspace3d.org)

Metallica

Post by Metallica » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:03 pm

I've been watching the conversations on irc and in the mailinglists and it sounds like a great and awesome project! I like the idea of having the old game logic so blendergames are backwards compatible and new logic choice so there are more actuators/sensors/controllers with CEL.

(maybe i should check out that CEL/CS tutorial now) ;)

to the best of luck

jorrit

Post by jorrit » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:10 pm

Metallica wrote:I've been watching the conversations on irc and in the mailinglists and it sounds like a great and awesome project! I like the idea of having the old game logic so blendergames are backwards compatible and new logic choice so there are more actuators/sensors/controllers with CEL.

(maybe i should check out that CEL/CS tutorial now) ;)

to the best of luck
Also check out: http://www.crystalspace3d.org/downloads/celdemo.zip
This is a simple demo game made with Blender, CS, and CEL. The game logic is fully described in XML in this example. Don't miss the platform when the game starts or you have to wait for some time :-)

Greetings,

Metallica

Post by Metallica » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:50 pm

yeah i played that yesterday! hehe i thought it was very cool to actually see how smooth it ran, the walk animations and fps and everything. right now i'm doing that celtutorial that was fixed the other day... in the middle of building CS right now :)

joeri

Post by joeri » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:06 pm

This sounds like a good plan.
I wish you alot of encouragement.

Hope to hear more about this in the near future.

pildanovak

Post by pildanovak » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:10 pm

hello, this is great news for GE lovers, crystalspace seems to have better capabilities then blenders GE, the demo looks promising. I've read the discussion on mailing lists and would like to contribute to the discussion since i've been using blenders GE for three years.

About logicbricks - I don't think that trying to fit the CEL into blenders logic bricks is optimal for 2 reasons:
1. The sensor-controller-actuator system isn't very flexible, eg. it doesn't allow to combine in trees, you cannot eg combine more logical controllers to create advanced non scripted operations, loops(a succesfully operated actuator as a trigger for more actions),etc

2.The graphical interface is also outdated, something more flexible(visually like oops or some node-based programming lenguages, with possibility to adjust positions of nodes) would be needed.

maybe going in the other direction could be the solution: Integrating Cel into blender with a completely new interface, then try to import old blender games in this system. But my experience is this: old Blender games run with old(same as created with) blender versions. Since after a short experience almost each game developer starts to use python scripting, there won't be any compatibility anyway(since CS and BlenderGE API is completely different). Almost none of my projects can be run on other versions of Blender. So i think it would be better to save yourself some work with trying to be compatible.

Take this as an user opinion, please. I'm not an C++ programmer, but if there will be some python scripting needed, just gimme the work :)

Once again, this is a great project. There are many blender users interested in realtime production, and this is finally solution for a long lasting problem.

Bandoler

Post by Bandoler » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:36 pm

Hi all,

I'm happy to read about htis project. However i'm in the middle (in the beginning, i should say) of my own protoype for a new game engine too, but integrated totally inside blender.
I wante to ask about the current engine and its maintainers, but if you say it is no longer mantained i'll feel more free to change things around. It is certainly out of date.

Good luck and keep posting with your improvments!

(bandoler)

jorrit

Post by jorrit » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:21 pm

pildanovak wrote:maybe going in the other direction could be the solution: Integrating Cel into blender with a completely new interface, then try to import old blender games in this system. But my experience is this: old Blender games run with old(same as created with) blender versions. Since after a short experience almost each game developer starts to use python scripting, there won't be any compatibility anyway(since CS and BlenderGE API is completely different). Almost none of my projects can be run on other versions of Blender. So i think it would be better to save yourself some work with trying to be compatible.
I personally would love to see this. But starting this project like that is a bit complicated to handle right now. Especially since I have at this moment zero knowledge about Blender and GameBlender source code. So for now I think it is best to approach this step by step in the plan that I announced. Once I have a CS/GameBlender standalone app that can run most of the current GameBlender games with reasonable sameness then I think it might be easier to start to work towards a complete changeover of the logic system.

Greetings,