From Blender Game Engine to Ogre,Girona,Crystalblend, Nebula

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

fobsta

Re: testbuild 2005july19: fix for random collision problem ?

Post by fobsta » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:37 am

The physics system seems to be shutting off rather abruptly.

In the multiple object demo scenes you bundle with this new build, after the objects have gone through all this spectacular collision and are settling down to their rest position, they all stop moving at exactly the same time.

It might look more natural if you stagger their deactivation?

pildanovak

Post by pildanovak » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:52 pm

erwin: I'm not sure about the sex of the monkey, I thought her name is Suzanne(?). :wink: but I'm czech and am not really an expert in the monkey things.
I'm going to test the build...

pildanovak

Post by pildanovak » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:31 pm

the monkeys don't jump anymore.

I realised another thing- if stacking a high pile of objects and then letting another fall on them from height(so that they can get in rest state inbetween) results that after collision some of the objects flying around stop in the space.

http://www.ffa.vutbr.cz/~novak/dwnflz/stack.blend

another issue- the damping value is implemented inverted. 0 means high damping, 1 no damping.

erwin

Post by erwin » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:51 pm

http://blendertestbuilds.kidb.de/index. ... 20_vc8.zip

This one has no deactivation, which means objects stay active forever. This should stop the objects from deactivating too early. But in the future, tuning the deactivation settings will be probably better.

Please report feedback on this one too. Build with Visual Studio 8, 2005 Beta 2.

Saluk

Post by Saluk » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:44 pm

Yes, this version where the physics never stop seems to work really well, and it DOESN'T have the jittery problem most physics engines have if you don't kill the evaluation. I don't know how you did it!

The box-on-sphere test slowed to a crawl
In the PolyTope test, it seems that sometimes they rest somewhat inside each other.

erwin

Post by erwin » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:29 pm

first of all, thanks for the encouraging words.

>The box-on-sphere test slowed to a crawl
if you make the bounds 'sphere' it should fly.

the sphere is tesselated, and I didn't add bounding volume tree support inside the mesh, so it brute force does way too much work. also the penetration depth calculation is very rudimentary (but it works, slowly).