Unity and Blender

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

GusM

Unity and Blender

Post by GusM »

Has somebody though about some more integration between Blender and the Unity GE?

http://otee.dk/unity/index.html

I have tryed the demo and it can use .blend files DIRECTLY! It is just amazing, you can work in the blend file and it gets updated inside Unity. It currently only supports meshes (with UV) and textures, that´s why I am asking here. Please, some developers can try it?

Unity developers are allready very interested in expanding blender support, they only need to get in touch with some blender developers...

http://otee.dk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13 ... ht=blender

Please guys, it would be a tremendous workflow... It has even a web plugin!!

Thank you in advance,
Gustavo Muñoz

levon

Post by levon »

it seems that unity is not open source, for the lower version of the program it cost $290 USD. so i think the programmers of unity can afford to work on the intergration.

cwguy

Post by cwguy »

I agree with levon here since integration would be pointless if Unity isn't open source, and it definitely is not. Good for Unity users, but wouldn't help Blender at all in terms of free (speech) software.

Overall, I'm most interested in how they put together a web plugin for Windows, and if that may be any easier to use than Blender's. Maybe they can cash in on what Blender has seemed to have... passed on... due to lack of programmers. *sigh* :roll:

davidhelgason

Post by davidhelgason »

Hi guys,

I really think you're being too hard on us: we're not competing with or overtaking you. Blender is a great complement to Unity.

We and many of our users like Blender and use it for its great modelling features. Our game GooBall was partly made in Blender, partly in Maya (and I suspect a little bit in 3DMax... somewhere).

Unity has a good automatic workflow with Blender (save your .blender file, swith to Unity, see your models update in a fraction of second). But as Gustavo points out we don't import the finer pionts of 3D (bones, animations).

This is mainly because Blender doesn't have a .fbx exporter. Since .fbx is becoming a very popular interchange format (Cheetah3D is even switching to it natively for example, most apps support it one way or another), supporting it would be good thing in any case.

.fbx isn't a complex format, so someone might want to take on this project one day.

But we completely understand what not having time and resources means: life so shorte, code so longe, or whatever the poet said :)

d.

levon

Post by levon »

i didnt mean to sound hostile... im just saying that the programers of unity should be able to afford someone to program the exporter, that way it would work they way they want it, and they could also maintain it, which seems to be a problem with a few import export scripts, they are not kept up to date.

GusM

Post by GusM »

Maybe any Python guru could be helpfull here, as far as both aplications use it ...

Unity is not free, but they are working very hard for suporting indie development. And, as you can see, they are really nice people and very interested in Blender. And compatibility with fbx can also be a great point for Blender, not only because of Unity. It is becoming a standar format in many areas of 3D.

I would recomend any Mac head here (Ton...?) to give it a try, it is really wonderfull to see blender files updated in a so neat GE... Please... ;)

I would also recomend to Unity developers to take a closer look at Blender capabilities, including Python api and game logics. Maybe you can develop the fbx exporter by your own, with a little help from some nice blender exporter programer... I just dream of building the games in blender, opening them in Unity for further development and publishing...

The Unity web plugin worked also for me at first try, just install it and run it. And I must say it does a great work both in graphics and interactivity (even with my poor old machine).

thank you in advance,
Gustavo Muñoz

cwguy

Post by cwguy »

Ahh... I misread "integration". In terms of Blender and Unity complementing, it sounds like a great duo. Yes, as davidhelgason pointed out, this is a great feature of Blender, to be able to model in it and then take and make your projects even better elsewhere. Python has only helped improved this process by allowing people to create exporters.
Because the power of Python is not found in other 3d progs, it helps to distinguish Blender and makes it so great for its users and for free software (as well as profiting companies!).

I know that in reality most people will use Blender for just one aspect or another, but I still think it could be a well-rounded program with the best features from all 3d packages. I keep thinking that people can come to a program like Blender for all their needs. Maybe this belief is where my hostility came from.

BTW, I couldn't get the Windows demo game working that I downloaded off the Unity website, but I do want to see it in action sometime!

davidhelgason

Post by davidhelgason »

I know the feeling, wanting to be the tool to end all tools. And Blender is truly a great tool. A slightly steep learning curve, but then really an efficient too.

Not trying to compete with such tools is what prompted us to focus on just doing one thing right: assembling and building games with cutting-edge tech.

We naturally try to integrate as well as possible with other tools, and having limited resources we do that by supporting the most common formats. FBX is getting the most wind in it's sails these days and fits the bill quite well.

Thanks for the friendly words btw. Enough reasons people start fights not to add software to that list ;)

d.

PS. If you check out our forum you'll see Blender mentioned repeatedly as a great complement to Unity (seen from where we are standing of course).