Page 2 of 3

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:10 am
by LetterRip
thanks for the information and the link.

I'll mention this thread at the next sunday meeting.

LetterRip

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:38 pm
by Katt
This is a sweet idea that i would definitely want 'in' on, but the question is, would a game project also be called 'orange'?

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:10 pm
by joeri
Katt wrote:This is a sweet idea that i would definitely want 'in' on, but the question is, would a game project also be called 'orange'?
No, there are many colors available for official bf projects.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:20 pm
by Katt
joeri wrote:No, there are many colors available for official bf projects.
Ha-ha. Your dry humor is always amusing. :wink:

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:47 am
by LetterRip
It might be worthwhile to define needs of the mobile gaming platforms too,

are there any mobile game opensource engines?

LetterRip

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:48 am
by LetterRip
bandoler just reminded me on IRC that his engine also targets the PSP.

LetterRip

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:23 am
by Bandoler
If you want to target PSP, http://pspdev.org has excellet tools and library ports to use. It might be a starting point.

(b)

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:37 pm
by Pierre-Luc_Auclair
reimpell wrote:Anyway, the most severe issue is the restriction to a single uv coordinate set [agree] and the lack of an internal lightmap solution.
I'd rather say that the lack of vertex normal editing and lack of hard edges/smoothing groups are issues to fix first/at the same degree of importance.

Gameblender came first

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:33 am
by bmud
I posted a news announcement on gameblender a long time ago that was about this very subject -- it's still up there in fact, dated June 1st 2005
Ton has announced the Orange Project as the first ever "open movie". This is a great opportunity for a challenging job to demand better things out of Blender. These things however will obviously be mostly animation-related. For anyone interested, I think it would be best to attempt to make a videogame that parallels the short film's storyline and soundtrack, so we can break some game engine bounds.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:28 pm
by Katt
so is this something someone is doing right now (and i'm missing out on it)? or are we just talking? i'll be free from school for the next several months if this is actually a project to be started.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:31 pm
by LetterRip
Katt,

currently it is just talk, but even if it weren't the time frame for it starting would have to be after the 'Project Orange' movie (at least if Ton were the one doing the development work...). It might be feasible to get another of Blenders talented developers to commit to such a project, although many of them are currently at college and thus busy with school. (A possibility might be to target it for the winter break and get a number of the better devs involved).

LetterRip

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:00 pm
by arangel
Orange Game Project! :shock:
Man, I would love to participate of that!

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:58 am
by ton
I'm all ears & eyes for opportunities that arise to organize more projects like Orange. The first thing I need though is a (couple of) partner(s) to help organizing and financing it.
Same was for Orange, that wouldn't have been possible without the Dutch Media Art Institute.

Making animations/movies with Blender is a bit more (understatement :) feasible now than doing 3d games though. But, if we can extend the scope to include other open source 3d engines, with Blender as artists tool and for prototyping, it might be very interesting.

As usual, ideas we got enough, but now how make them come true! Anyone here should feel invited to try to get something like "Orange" copied locally. There's a whole lotta interest in open source and culture/art based projects, with institutes and funds all over the world looking for opportunities.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:30 pm
by rcas
ton wrote:I'm all ears & eyes for opportunities that arise to organize more projects like Orange. The first thing I need though is a (couple of) partner(s) to help organizing and financing it.
Same was for Orange, that wouldn't have been possible without the Dutch Media Art Institute.

Making animations/movies with Blender is a bit more (understatement :) feasible now than doing 3d games though. But, if we can extend the scope to include other open source 3d engines, with Blender as artists tool and for prototyping, it might be very interesting.

As usual, ideas we got enough, but now how make them come true! Anyone here should feel invited to try to get something like "Orange" copied locally. There's a whole lotta interest in open source and culture/art based projects, with institutes and funds all over the world looking for opportunities.
In Portugal.

Project Tuga 3D, 12 people working on a 10 minutes 3D animation for 18 months, part-time. Using Blender as the main tool for the whole project.

The project will start in September next year and it is a localized project, in the sense that it is the primary goal to try to do it only by Portuguese artists.

The goals of the project are the following:
- Spread Open Source
- Enhance Animation in the Portuguese culture
- Show that Portuguese artists are as good as others worldwide
- Propose the final animation to Cannes Festival


We are currently looking for sponsors in Portugal and worldwide. I already talked with some foundations here in Portugal, but none of them cared for the project or what it stands for.
Portugal is bad in this sense, because there are huge lobbies that only give funding to "people" that are connected to them in some sort.

This is why we mainly decided to do it in a part-time basis, since no sponsorship was given or available for this sort of project.
I think some sponsors may arrive, but only after we get some animatic or teaser out.

Anyway, there are efforts to continue this sort of projects, keeping the Orange legacy alive after it ends. But the reality is that several countries aren't that keen to help fund such projects.
In Orange case you had a better "base" support, as of being a Foundation.


Cheers,

-- Rui --

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:28 pm
by matos
im portuguese 2, from aveiro, and a blender user.
if u need/want any help in that project, mail me.
kindzu@gmail.com