The Orange Project

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

rcas

Post by rcas »

matos wrote:im portuguese 2, from aveiro, and a blender user.
if u need/want any help in that project, mail me.
kindzu@gmail.com
I will open a sort of "job" openings for the project once the website is up and will make sure to post it here, at elysiun, cgtalk and some other foruns, so no one misses it.

By the way, the "job" openings will need you to submit some work, for evaluation. The work can be done in any application, I will make sure to do several workshops on learning Blender, because there aren't those many Blender users in Portugal.

I have you e-mail with me, so I will send you an e-mail when the website is up.

Já agora podes sempre ir dando uma checkada no site official do projecto http://www.tuga3d.com .

Cheers,

-- Rui --
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

bmud

Post by bmud »

Just out of curiosity, what is stopping any of you from helping out with The Blender Community Game Project ( BCGP: http://bcgp.dyndns.org )?

rcas

Post by rcas »

bmud wrote:Just out of curiosity, what is stopping any of you from helping out with The Blender Community Game Project ( BCGP: http://bcgp.dyndns.org )?
No knowledge on Blender Game engine, nor on low polygon modeling.

These are my reasons.
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

matos

Post by matos »

ja passei pelo site, obrigado pela info.
ja agora sera possivel saber o conteudo do projecto?
alem de trabalhar em 3d eu tb trabalho em ilustraçao, principalmente em ilustraçao tradicional(canetinha bic e folhas a4) :)

um abraço

rcas

Post by rcas »

matos wrote:ja passei pelo site, obrigado pela info.
ja agora sera possivel saber o conteudo do projecto?
alem de trabalhar em 3d eu tb trabalho em ilustraçao, principalmente em ilustraçao tradicional(canetinha bic e folhas a4) :)

um abraço
Will send you a PM, it is a bit off topic.
How to use a Blender:

rcas

Post by rcas »

Seems PMs are not available, so I will send e-mail.
How to use a Blender:

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

A bit of updated information,

in a thread at Orange - Ton stated that the financing was 120,000 Euro total, excluding Blender Foundation overhead and Tons salary. Orange DVD sales apparently are to cover 25% of the 120,000 Euros with the rest covered by the partners.

LetterRip

TomorrowMan

Post by TomorrowMan »

LetterRip wrote:It might be worthwhile to define needs of the mobile gaming platforms too,

are there any mobile game opensource engines?
Unfortanetly, I think there might be a problem with that scenario. There are quite a few licensing and distribution issues When it comes to the PSP, X-box, or any major console/mobile gaming platform. Basically, the game probably could only be published through third-party publishers when it comes to anything outside of the PC. The problem with this however, is that its pretty doubtfull that any video game publisher would ever agree to publish a game under an opensource license.

There is still a huge market for PC games though, and I think if a "GE Orange Project" were persuid, than it would probably be best to keep the final product a PC game. Afterall, the BF could self-publish the final game for PC's and make it simply downloadable. They wouldnt neccasarly need the aid of third-party publishers to distribute it for PC's.

However, seeking third-party publishers could still be an option worth looking into. I doubt there would be many willing to publish an opensource game, but there could be some, who knows? A third party publisher(like EA Games, Microsoft, THQ, whatever) would make a perfect partner. A publisher would fund the entire project, and would help with oranizing and marketing the game. Publishers do generally take around 80% of a games profits for themselves however. But ofcourse, something like this wouldnt be about making money anywho. :wink: Its a possibility worth looking into I guess, but I wouldnt expect to find a publisher who would do it.
ton wrote:But, if we can extend the scope to include other open source 3d engines, with Blender as artists tool and for prototyping, it might be very interesting.
It may be possible to use Blender's GE. Contrary to what most people think, the problem does not lie in the GE's somewhat outdated realtime rendering features. Whether Blender's GE would be used or not, it would probably be best to persue stylized graphics as apposed to realistic anyways. There is no way in hell we could compete with the likes of Halo 2, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, etc. when it comes to realistic graphics. However, a stylized game which is up to todays "standerds" is definintly doable. Stylized could mean using the new GLSL shaders, or it could simply mean making the game in a very innovative visual style. Interesting visual styles in game design are starting to become popular in the eyes of gamers in fact. Plus, static shadows, particle effects and several other advanced graphical effects can be realistically "faked" without sacrificing game speed.

The GE's main problem I think lies in its effeciancy. I've worked on some of the biggest community projects over the years, and I can say from experience that the GE becomes quite the headache to work with when it comes to large projects. ST150 at elYsiun could probably give you more insight into our teams specific struggles with the engine since he has been our teams lead programmer for awhile now. I'm no programmer, but it just seems like the bigger the project gets, the more problems the GE finds to throw at you. :P

Bottom line...Using an outside engine is definintly an option if you decided to do something like this, but I wouldnt completely rule out using Blenders internal one.
bmud wrote:Just out of curiosity, what is stopping any of you from helping out with The Blender Community Game Project ( BCGP: http://bcgp.dyndns.org )?
Just so everyone else knows, I think the BCGP is an on-going attempt to do something similar to what is being discussed here. I cant speak for any of the guys working on it, but im pretty sure it has similar goals to what a "GE Orange" project might have.

Online teams tend to "fizzle-out" though and I think most of the community realizes that. Its no ones fault, people just eventually loose motivation. No matter how good your lines of communication are, it doesnt come anywhere close to the creative synergy that would take place in real life as well. People loose motivation on online projects too because they often either lack an overall direction and/or team members simply cant put in a whole lot of time...both of which lead to the project slowing, and huge losses in the teams motivation. (im ofcourse not saying that the BCGP is like this, its actually one of the few online projects which has stuck around for a long time.)

A GE Orange project would be different though. There could be a main team of about 5 or 6 people who would work full time on the game. Even though thats a relatively small number of people, alot of work would still get done in a short amount of time since they would be working on the project full time. There would always be alot of progress being made, and those 5 or so people would have a clear vision for the project, therefore online contributers would much less likely loose motivation due to lack of development or direction.

Alright already, im sick of making outrageously long-winded comments about what people have already said in this topic. :P (im sure you all are tired of reading this by now too :wink: ). One more note on my part though: I would most definintly love to be a part of something like this if you decided to do it ton. Hell, I would even volenteer to lead the project and do nearly all of the organization which would be involved with it if need be. You can check out some of my past and on-going work in these two threads:
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59278
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56261
Last edited by TomorrowMan on Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Corey Rice AKA TomorrowMan

http://www.bhpgames.com

TomorrowMan

Post by TomorrowMan »

See? I know what im talking about, ive been in this community for over 30 years! :P

(odd little glitch...that was a screen from my PC...do you all see that?)
- Corey Rice AKA TomorrowMan

http://www.bhpgames.com

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

bumping this ...

LetterRip