why doesn't it work in the game blender engine?

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

womanonfire

why doesn't it work in the game blender engine?

Post by womanonfire »

this may be a naive question but i ask it anyway.
there are so many things that work in the viewport but don't in the game engine. why is that? i mean one can just press play and the animation of particles, soft bodies etc plays. you can render some nice radiosity (the new radio box thing) but shouldn't those resulting effects be nice to have in a realtime situation?

just curious, because it seems like it all works in real time almost already... so why not just integrate all this into the game blender and we can take advantage of this game engine built in and the powerful new features.

womanonfire

Post by womanonfire »

on elysiun i got some response.
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 618#529618
perhaps someone who codes can also illuminate these responses?

erwin

Post by erwin »

The gameengine was written independently from Blender to allow for a separate webplayer. Also the programming language is C++ rather then Blender C.

However over time more Blender internal structures have been introduced in the gameengine, so things are not completely separated anymore.

ysvry

Post by ysvry »

not a naive question at all , i would like total intergration too fire woman.

womanonfire

Post by womanonfire »

i know i'm not the first to say it and probably won't be the last, but...

please don't let the game engine die!!!!!

why not re-write the sucker in C and integrate the hell out of it?
is there a good reason why not to do this?

the Blender concept of giving a realtime opportunity is unique, special and , well, a damn good idea!
i worry that what will happen is it will be dropped or thrown out to those who know how to use other game engines, left to the programmers and not given to the people. People who cannot swim through mountains of C++ to make a small real-time project. I am not asking for Half Life 2 quality here... but something that makes sense for those who know the Blender program. Expand the logic brick system! Take a look at something like Quest3D, for example. It shows beautifully the possibilities of visual programming.

The concepts exist, the paradigm exists. Why get caught up in all this rendering stuff all the time. Endlessly improving the render engine and killing the game engine is simply silly. but it shows that when it is known that something can be improved the lovely developers of blender CAN do something about it. So, why not fix this thing? The same team should try to do this, with the same excellent organization and attention to detail.... not keep it separate where it may languish and die. Or worse, only be developed to the interests of a few rather than for the public at large.

my 2 euro cent. for free.

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

womanonfire wrote:The same team should try to do this, with the same excellent organization and attention to detail.... not keep it separate where it may languish and die.
Unfortunately, the same team that works on the rest of Blender generally isn't interested in games. The problem is, and remains to be, lack of developers that are interested in the Blender game engine and want to help out. The existing ones aren't going to 'convert'.

womanonfire

Post by womanonfire »

well its not so much that you need to convert but to grow your imagination to see why the game engine is for more than just games.

and that this is a feature of blender that could make it more than just another 3d program that can make nice renders.... many apps can do that. but blender is the only one that can allow kids to learn about the real-time medium, an easy introduction to it anyway. but i see now i come to all this too late and read the GE is being officially abandoned to Crystal Space. too bad.

i guess this is the problem with open source software. only those able to code can have a say. everyone else has to wait for coders with vision (and yeah, i guess, coders with time too heh ) :x

lightning

Post by lightning »

I don't see the move to crystalspace as a bad thing. Crystalspace is a fairly big engine, that already has a userbase, and programmers dedicated solely to the game engine. Whereas the blender devs are more interested in modelling and rendering etc, the CS devs are just as focused on the GE. When the two are integrated, we will have the best. of both worlds. I would never say that the blender devs were at fault currently in not supporting the GE, the current engine is simply not a modern engine.
The dawn of a new error...

kakapo

Post by kakapo »

crystal space seems to be a nice engine but how will it be integrated? is it possible that it renders into the blender window? or will it have to open a separate window?

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

The current game engine will continue to get updates I'm sure. It just wasn't ready for 2.40 and we had had cvs frozen for a long time already so it was decided to release and add the engine back for 2.41.

LetterRip

an-toni

Post by an-toni »

i think it is possible to run crystalblend so that users dont even know it is not Ketsji, just by pressing 'p' and having it show in a blender view.

otherwise i've been repeating myself in long posts about scifi ideas about integrating working and gaming at on the elysiun side of this thread, .. oh and also mentioning the possibilities of bounties if ppl wanna pay for things

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 646#533646

~Toni

erwin

Post by erwin »

I will support the current game engine (Ketsji) at least during 2006. Also snail has been doing some great work on the game engine graphics side.

So in short, there will be better Bullet rigidbody support, multi texture and shader support, fixed armatures, new vehicles and new character control. Perhaps if there is time, even blending armatures with rigidbody ragdolls...

Happy New 2006!

William

Post by William »

I have to agree the game enigine is great. It was what made me notice Blender initially in 2000. Ofcourse, five years and six months later the game engine is a wee bit dated, but it is still completely unique.

an-toni

Post by an-toni »

yah, can't wait to get to test the new armatures there now! :)

~Toni