texture loading

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

jm

texture loading

Post by jm » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:38 am

do you know if Blender game engine loads texture to the scene dinamicaly or if it keeps them in the card all the time?

thx jm

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:55 pm

what are you trying to do that the answer to this question is important?

[I don't think blender itself manages the texture cache, opengl does]

Chr

Post by Chr » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:27 pm

everybody thinks opengl does that much. but it isn't. if you load a texture as an opengl texture, it remains in memory until you (blender) deletes it. it isn't deleted if it's not needed. it is better, if you only load the textures you actually need. otherwise the graphic-card memory is reserved for 'nothing'

Doc_Holiday

Post by Doc_Holiday » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:01 pm

Oops, that are bad News. We have no Possibilities to unload Textures from Memory. :? Even if Blender adds or remove Scenes, the Texture Cache is not updated? I can't believe that. That would be a really huge Bug.
Doc

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:02 am

Doc_Holiday: I think you mis-understood my interpretation of the question

blender doesn't decide when the textures are transferred from system memory to graphics memory, opengl does.

however, I would be _very_ surprized if blender fails to release allocated system memory for textures when the scene changes and they are no longer used.

still, this particular question and answer are useless for anything I can see somebody trying to do in blender.

jm

Post by jm » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:39 am

I think guys that this problem is in the blender engine as far as I can remember. I think Ton mentioned this problem like one of problems why is better use blender like an modeler and use for example ogre like a game engine, because he know that this problem is there. Not only this one.

I was curious if the new version with blender materials still has it. Seams that it does.

jm

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:55 am

jm wrote:I think guys that this problem is in the blender engine as far as I can remember. I think Ton mentioned this problem like one of problems why is better use blender like an modeler and use for example ogre like a game engine, because he know that this problem is there. Not only this one.
you think textures are not freed from memory?
jm wrote:I was curious if the new version with blender materials still has it. Seams that it does.
I must be using some pretty small textures if 512x512px textures cause an increase in memory usage of 20k when I switch scenes...

[that said, clearly there's a leak somewhere if the memory usage is increasing when I'm just switching scenes back and forth... but only 20k leaked is clearly not indicative of leaking entire textures]

pildanovak

Post by pildanovak » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:40 pm

once i run my Vj script which switches scenes for 8 hour without stopping, the memory of the engine was then over 500 mb... But still running well :)

jm

Post by jm » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:02 pm

I need to use textures like 2096*2096(for proprietary application). so that's why I post this question 8)

jm