Creating Web friendly, interactive 3d animations

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

sc_3007

Creating Web friendly, interactive 3d animations

Post by sc_3007 »

I have recently been learning how to do 3d rendering and animation. I am re-building from my website and I have an idea for something I would like to implement but I am unsure about how.

I want to make a 3d model, and allow user interaction with it on my websitesite, use it like a navigation system. So there will be clickable area's on it. I will be using simple 3D shapes, most comonly composing cubes, nothing spectacularly difficult. I would like certain surfaces to be clickable and also for the shape to be rotateable with mouse movement.

I am fully familiar with Flash, HTML, javascript, java, PHP. I have also used phot editing facilities to create complex graphics. I am doing a computing degree so am fairly computer literate but I am fairly new when It comes to graphics. I have thought of using flash to animate the 3d models but flash only supports 2D graphics. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

I am using Blender as my 3D rendering tool I am looking at swift although it is fairly expensive. I am aware of serials and cracks but am dead against it. I am really impressed with blender and I was wondering if there was a way either within blender to do what I want to do, or if there is a tool similar to swift that is free that I can use in conjunction with blender???

Any thoughts appreciated,

Steve
Yi luan tou shi

GloomM

Post by GloomM »

one solution would be to pre-render the animations (compress them if necesary EG: with Cleaner), and use Flash to put the different animation-renders on the timeline.

fairly simple solution, but not very "download"-friendly I think as in, would maybe take a while to preload
depends on the size of coarse :)
to make the loading less dull you could always make a little intro-movie and let the rest load during the intro.

hope this is a usefull thought for you ;)

GloomM

sc_3007

Post by sc_3007 »

So, if I understand what u mean is create rendered images like Jpg's and then animate them in flash?? Add interactivity using actionscript? I was thinking of using a pre-loader, maybe with a little movie anyway.

If thats the case do u know if it is possible to give the image a transparent background??
Yi luan tou shi

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

i'd recommend checking elysiun, someone did a beutiful site doing almost exactly what you want. You'll probably need to ask over there.

LetterRip

sc_3007

Post by sc_3007 »

Kool, I have posted my question over there. I am just waiting for a reply. Do you know the URL to this website I can look at???
Yi luan tou shi

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

nope sorry,

LetterRip

hoxolotl

Post by hoxolotl »

Another possibility is to use a combination of quicktime VR and Flash, making your environment in blender and using the blender quicktime VR python export script.
Having a mac (OSX) helps as most of the tools for assembling the QTVR are freely available from the apple site. There are also reasonable priced tools (around 30$) to do this on a mac or PC (including adding interactivity).

And I'm not a legal representatives of those companies, so if you want more things like URL's and stuff I suggest you use your search engines.
I can make it fast, good, and cheap, pick any TWO of those.

sc_3007

Post by sc_3007 »

ok, I have another question, IF i want to create a rotating shape and have the rotation movement governed by mouse movement, how would I go about that???
Yi luan tou shi

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

There is a script to do that at elysiun using javascript.

LetterRip