Is this possible with Blender (generate 3D world...)

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

BlenderK2

Is this possible with Blender (generate 3D world...)

Post by BlenderK2 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:12 am

My apologies in advance for the Newbie question:

-Is it possible to generate 3D worlds in Blender based on flat file input at 'runtime'?

i.e. I have a document (spreadsheet, or text file) that shows relationships between Objects (Object AA has child objects of Object A, B and C). If I want to 'draw' a simple room representing Object AA and connected by a Hallway to rooms for Object A, B and C?

I would like to have Blender read the input file and generate the World without having to hardcoat this in advance. Possible?

Thank you!

solmax

Post by solmax » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:50 am

not sure if I fully understand what you mean, but it sounds doable. you'll have to implement a python script that reads your data source file and generates objects according to this input. you might wanna check out a recent Python documentation for the Game Engine.

marin

pildanovak

Post by pildanovak » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:24 am

blender engine currently doesn't support mesh changes in realtime, but you can generated the world from pre - edited parts, so if you make your rooms and hallways with some "compatible"connections, you can do such thing. I have made a whole landscape generation system a few years ago based on this i blender.