What is planned for Blender and game creation?

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

elander

What is planned for Blender and game creation?

Post by elander » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:29 pm

What are the future plans for Blender as a tool to create games? Im a little concerned with this stuff. This forum activity has been a bit low in the last days.

I remenber there was some plans to create a plugin to couple an external engine to Blender.

There was some guy trying to create a new way to visualy program game behavior using a gui based on the modules/circuits analogy.

Someone is making a Collada exporter which is good but last time i checked Blender features it was still lacking some important features for people interested in making games with it and making an engine plugin is not enough if Blender doesn't have the features that game engines mostly use.

For example vertex normals. This is important to seamlessly snap blocks of geometry together and is the way to define normals in game engines. Other examples are vertex tangents, user data per vertex, named selections and prefabs. The only reason parenting doesn't work is because it doesn't lock transformations on it's children.

Naming conventions are important for games of a reasonable content size. 20 chars for texture names is too little. 80 would be the ideal.

These are small details except perhaps for vertex normals and prefabs but it would help a lot, when making exporters or passing data to an external engine.

Something that i often miss in game builders is AI controled objects and animations and something to edit path grids on top of terrain geometry. This would be something interesting to add to Blender.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:28 pm

Hi,

Ogre 3D is being integrated into Blender currently as the new game engine display engine.

The node based game idea i think died, but the author never intended it to be integrated.

Collada exporter/importer got support for a Dutch 'summer of code' and animation support is being quickly added - he has added skinning and armatures support this past week or two.
For example vertex normals. This is important to seamlessly snap blocks of geometry together and is the way to define normals in game engines. Other examples are vertex tangents, user data per vertex, named selections and prefabs. The only reason parenting doesn't work is because it doesn't lock transformations on it's children.
In CVS is support for 'split edges' - might give you something similar to 'vertex normals'. Per vertex custom data is being added by Brecht. What is a 'named selection and prefab'?
Naming conventions are important for games of a reasonable content size. 20 chars for texture names is too little. 80 would be the ideal.
I agree that that would be desireable, don't think it is on someones todo though.

LetterRip

elander

Post by elander » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:30 pm

LetterRip wrote:What is a 'named selection
This is one way to add user-data (properties) to a selection of vertices or part of a mesh. It's similar to what already exists with animation but with the possibility of adding user-data.
LetterRip wrote:and prefab'?
Prefabs are used by the Half-Life2 editor, the Doom3 editor (i believe) and will be used by Neverwinter Nights 2 CS. It's a special kind of grouping similar to parenting with the possibility of having deep hierarchies. Except that the children are locked and the group works in every way like if it was a single Blender object.

I don't know exactly how the gui for this would work in Blender and i don't mod with the HL2 editor anymore but from what i recall. There are a couple of basic operations.

Grouping: Select several objects and group them (like parenting). One of the objects will become the refrential of the group. It's possible to group objects with other groups. Clicking on any element selects the entire group (can't select elements). We can only transform the entire group.

Ungrouping: The inverse operation of grouping.

It was a pita in hl2 in order to change a prefab to have to ungroup everything to make changes to the prefab and then select each piece one by one and group it again so i sugest the following operations.

Unlock: After this operation and without forgeting its group data all objects in the group can be individualy selected and transformed, or the group referential changed. It's an edit mode of some sort.

Lock: With an object of some group selected use lock so the unlocked group wil become locked and act as a group.

That's it with the possibility of adding game properties to groups.

neighborlee

Post by neighborlee » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:40 pm

LetterRip wrote:Hi,

Ogre 3D is being integrated into Blender currently as the new game engine display engine.

The node based game idea i think died, but the author never intended it to be integrated.

Collada exporter/importer got support for a Dutch 'summer of code' and animation support is being quickly added - he has added skinning and armatures support this past week or two.
In CVS is support for 'split edges' - might give you something similar to 'vertex normals'. Per vertex custom data is being added by Brecht. What is a 'named selection and prefab'?
I agree that that would be desireable, don't think it is on someones todo though.

LetterRip
I doubt that will become the defaul new gameblender engine..considering that CS blender integratiion is much more mature ;) If you doubt that just check crystalspace forum and look into celstart as well ;)

cheers
neighborlee
http://heartseed.sf.net
One Game at a time-

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:04 am

Erwin and Charlie are the two main programmers working on the internal game engine. Also Charlie is the one doing the Ogre integration, and Erwin will do the physics side of it. So there is a good chance it will indeed become the default. The biggest barrier I forsee is that Ton might object to the download size. In which case it would probably be distributed as a downloadable plugin.

LetterRip

pildanovak

Post by pildanovak » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:03 am

Oh, I hope that wouldn't happen. It's a nice thing, that blander still has under 10Mb. But cutting the engine off would probably prohibit new users to experiment with it easily.