Actions and the NLA editor

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

animatedseagull

Actions and the NLA editor

Post by animatedseagull » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:28 pm

Trying to animate a seagull I stumbled on a problem:

I'm making poses for al the different movements I need , to use them in the NLA editor, but I looks like a bone with keyframes in 1 action can not have keyframes in another action and be simultanious used the NLA editor. The top most action is 'leading' the action. ADDing the two action does not give the results defined in the action.
Is there a solution/workaround for this 'problem' or should I use an second bone for the additional action?

I'm kinda 'new' to animating with blender..... so any help is welcome.

Grtz, Martin

slikdigit

Post by slikdigit » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:08 am

sounds like you're trying to do too much in the NLA; the NLA is for mixing several actions; each action can have multiple poses, so I would animate all the poses of one action in the action editor, not the NLA; then , if you want (for instance) to repeat that action, you would go to the NLA.
there are several good resources to working with animations in blender, like the documentation resources on this site, the essentials (and the character animation) books, and the www.blenderartists.org forum, where user questions are more likely to get answered than here. (this forum is developer , rather than user oriented)

stiv

Post by stiv » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:07 pm

I have heard that the Mancandy dvd for sale in the Blender eShop is a very useful animation resource, he said innocently.

slikdigit

Post by slikdigit » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:02 pm

stiv wrote:I have heard that the Mancandy dvd for sale in the Blender eShop is a very useful animation resource, he said innocently.
hehe, yes there's that too- however I recommend the essentials book first, unless you already know the basics.

NielsBlender

Post by NielsBlender » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:27 pm

animatedseagull,

It seems your work-method needs at least Blender-RC1, so download it if you haven't already...

Why?

The method you use, to build poses first then create (larger-)actions can be done perfectly with the Pose-Library, which is not in any previous version of Blender.