Camera shaking / handy cam effect

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

gwaddy

Camera shaking / handy cam effect

Post by gwaddy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:42 pm

Hello i am new to the forum, new to forums in general. I ama 3d artist, educator and director and i am wondering if there is a way to simulate the handy cam effect that we see in many movies and videos to give it a more realistic view. Any help with this or a link to a tutorial would be great.

Thank you.

stiv

Post by stiv » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:08 pm

My personal feeling is that anyone using shakey-cam effects should be hunted for sport. However, in Blender, the camera is just another object and can be animated with IPOs.

There are some camera jitter scripts floating around. Blendernation might be a useful place to look.

bjornmose

Post by bjornmose » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:54 pm

Ghost_Train

Post by Ghost_Train » Mon May 26, 2008 12:52 am

Did you ever figure out how to get the camera to shake the way
you want it to?

I just made a short clip and experimented with camera shake
animation as well. Check it out and let me know if this is what
you're looking for and I'll try to make a tutorial.

Rocket Powa (w/camera shakage)

It's kind of done in a barbaric sort of way, but it works and it's perfect
for getting it to shake kind of random depending on how much you want it.

Juggernaut

Post by Juggernaut » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:59 am

Yeah, you can really just add some points on the cameras rotation IPO and slide them around. The biggest trick is know how a camera moves when you are trying to create this effect in real life, then roughly match your IPOs to that.

I do it almost constantly in my animations. Even for steady shots I'll create slight variations that most people won't pick up on immediately, but adds to the overal 'feel' of the piece.

A few things to think about: Don't overdo it, but don't be afraid to throw in some larger angles every now and then.

Skadi

Post by Skadi » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:26 pm

Okay, this question is connected to the camera jitter one, but more general. I would like to make objects jitter. i found a reference to an object_jitter.py which seems to be unavailable.
Is there some non-skript way except for adding in ipo-points and moving around by hand?
I am looking for an effect similar to these (for molecules floating and binding):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvvx5HGpLg

stiv

Post by stiv » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:01 pm

Skadi wrote:Is there some non-skript way except for adding in ipo-points and moving around by hand?
So you want a way to move objects that does not involve a script, IPOs, or keyframes? That is pretty much a list of how to animate object position in Blender. The only other thing I can think of is shape keys on a mesh with dupliverts.