local rotation in IPO independently from global rotation

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Varegue

local rotation in IPO independently from global rotation

Post by Varegue » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:50 pm

It is possible to insert keys in IPO curves to record object local rotations on another curves than the ones used to define the global rotations?
For example, to animate a spinning top or a flying saucer: a spinning can easily be created with rotate on axis Z local (shortcut R, Z, Z), but if I further add some global animations to the object , the IPO merges both local and global rotations and the result for the other frames is a mess.
So is there a way the IPO independently record local and global rotations?

Master Letch

Post by Master Letch » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:25 pm

hey

well there is and isn't...

because blender has a better way then defining global ipos. because lets just say you need to merge more then 2 rotations... (such as modelling a solar system with moons rotating around planets rotating around the sun...)

blenders Action and NLA editors are just what you are looking for. Ipos can be messy if you have too much going on, so the action editor can turn the piles of ipos you have into one unified action, from there you use the NLA editor to merge different actions together quite nicely.
M. Letch

Varegue

Post by Varegue » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:10 pm

Thank you for your help, Master Letch.

I am not very familiar with the action and NLA editors for I had only used them to change action speeds and starting times. So I do not know how to assign 2 different actions to a same object. But it gave some some insights.
I have eventually just found another simple way to solve my query: that is to create a rotation for the object, parent this object to another object, possibly invisible, and assign another rotation to the parent object.
The result is just what I was looking for.

Master Letch

Post by Master Letch » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:29 pm

I'm glad I was able to help :)
M. Letch

Sanchai

You're genius!!!

Post by Sanchai » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:01 pm

Varegue wrote:Thank you for your help, Master Letch.

I am not very familiar with the action and NLA editors for I had only used them to change action speeds and starting times. So I do not know how to assign 2 different actions to a same object. But it gave some some insights.
I have eventually just found another simple way to solve my query: that is to create a rotation for the object, parent this object to another object, possibly invisible, and assign another rotation to the parent object.
The result is just what I was looking for.
You're genius!!! You really save my day.
I was trying to animate a spinning top but had no luck until I found this post.

Thank you.