I need help with effects in a video

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

zrealmx

I need help with effects in a video

Post by zrealmx »

i was wondering how u put effects in a video, like som1 shoots fire or somthing like that.
Thank you
ZRealmX

stiv

Post by stiv »

You will need to better describe what you are trying to accomplish to get a meaningful answer. Particle effects, compositing, live action video?

Looking at the documentation might be a first step:
http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11012

zrealmx

Re: I need help with effects in a video

Post by zrealmx »

I know how to do particle effects, but not in a movie. Im wondering how you get it in to a movie using only blender, is that possible?

dan_hin

Re: I need help with effects in a video

Post by dan_hin »

you need to have a look at something called "compositing". this is the term to describe mixing together various videos and combining them.

Blender has an internal compositor which you can use to composite special effects with. Its based on a procdedural (as opposed to layer) paradigm, which means that it works in a similar way to Apple Shake.

If you want to get into special effects, then you'll need to think about them in detail. for example, if fire is shooting out of a character, then you may want to consider:

- how to make a fire effect
- how to make that effect look like it's part of the same "world" as the movie you'll be adding it to

there are plenty of tutorials on the internet, but for the theory of compositing I'd suggest having a look at videocopilot.net. it has loads of different vfx tutorials. Even though most of the tuts are for after effects, you can take the theory behind the tutorial and apply it to what you want to make.