Animation along curve issue

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Acromarts

Animation along curve issue

Post by Acromarts » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:21 pm

Hey blenderers!
I want to animate a camera along a curve i created.
I do this by selecting the camera, then selecting the curve and pressing CTRL+p, then select 'follow path'.

The issue: the camera starts following the path from frame 1.
I want the camera to start following at a LATER frame. how can I do this? I tried keyframing and the animation F-curves, but I can't seem to find a solution.

I use Blender 2.54

Can someone help me?
Thanks!
Acro

paulo_gomes

Post by paulo_gomes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:16 am

dont need to parent. Select your camera goto object constraints (chain icon), add a constraint 'follow path' select your curve for the target object, check follow curve and set offset field for the number of frames you want to delay.

Acromarts

Nope, not working yet

Post by Acromarts » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:18 am

paulo_gomes wrote:dont need to parent. Select your camera goto object constraints (chain icon), add a constraint 'follow path' select your curve for the target object, check follow curve and set offset field for the number of frames you want to delay.
Ok, I tried this now.
Issue: my camera won't follow the path. I selected the camera, moved it to the beginning of my curve, added the constraint, but i have to select 1 of 6 axis (XYZ and -XYZ)
When i select +-X or +-Y, my camera suddenly snaps out of place.
It will still follow the movement of the path, and the offset works, but its location and rotation don't behave correctly. the location suddenly changes from 0 to 2500 and stuff like that.
I try to manually put the camera back in place, using the location XYZ values from the properties screen, but yet this doesn't work.

When I select +-Z, my camera won't be moved but also won't follow the path when i press ALT+A. I have checked the 'follow curve' box.

Any advise?
Thanks!
Acro

paulo_gomes

Post by paulo_gomes » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:49 am

you have to clear the location of the camera (set it at the world origin (0,0,0).

here's a blend with a camera following a curve.

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/3915

maybe you can post a blend with the camera and curve you made with ctrl+p, i'll try to mimic it with the constraint so you can apply the offset.

John Turrell

Animation along a curve

Post by John Turrell » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:42 am

I have recently found that animating a camera along a curve no longer works in my older Blend files when using the latest Blender 2.5 version. In researching this problem I downloaded the example file that paulo_gomes supplied and although it works fine in earlier Blender versions, it doesn't work in the latest!
Have you guys noticed this and if so have you found a solution?

Sorry if this should have been a new topic!

Regards
JT

jedihe

Remember that now everything is animatable!

Post by jedihe » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:44 am

I got it working by using the constraint method (enabling "Follow Curve"); then enabling the "Follow" option in the curve itself (Object Data tab of the properties editor) and, finally, animating the "Evaluation Time" parameter (also on the curve).

A little more work than before, but more power for us!

John Turrell

Post by John Turrell » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:32 am

jedihe,

I did git it to work by parenting the camera to a mesh and getting that to follow the curve but I am getting quite adept at using keyframes and tweeking the F-curves so most of the time I now just keyframe the camera along with everything else that was being moved around in a scene - not easy if you want a smooth 3D sweep.

The constraint method hadn't worked for me but I didn't know about the "Evaluation Time" parameter [didn't even know that you could animate it!]. Just tried it and got it working just fine.

So much to learn!

Thanks very much.

Regards
JT