Relationships Vertex Groups <-> Bones

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Cygon

Relationships Vertex Groups <-> Bones

Post by Cygon »

Hi!

I'm trying apply bone animation to some simple mechanical turrets (so my vertex weights will all be either 0.0 or 1.0 - no elastic parts).
  • In 3DS Max, I was able to select which bones will actually be used by the vertices (and which ones are merely supporting bones or used as attachment points), allowing me to optimize my vertex shaders. I suppose blender does this automatically?

• Then 3DS Max let me easily select entire elements of a mesh (an element being a distinct part of the mesh where all vertices are connected). I know how to select edge loops in Blender, which makes it a bit easier, but not how to select an entire element.
Now I want to manually assign vertices to bones. However, I can only assign vertices to "Vertex Groups". The docs hint at some relation between Vertex Groups and bones, but I don't understand what that relation is - I haven't found anything that lets me associate a Vertex Group with a bone.

Also, I'm missing a "Set Weight" button. I can only paint weights, which isn't ideal if all I really want to do is set the weight of all selected vertices to 1.0.

Can anyone explain the relationship between Vertex Groups and Bones to me, or point at a tutorial/doc page that explains it?

If you happen to know any help for the other two minor annoyances I wrote above, I'd be happy, too :)
Last edited by Cygon on Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cygon

Post by Cygon »

If it helps, I have illustrated my workflow in 3DS Max in this article: How to Rig a Model in 3DS Max.

It shows the element selection I was talking about and some other cool stuff I haven't found yet in Blender (like the Skin Weight Table - a real lifesaver for animation of mechanical stuff)

Cygon

Post by Cygon »

I figured out that I can select all connected vertices of a mesh by pressing Ctrl+L with the mouse over it.