Issues between Vertex Groups and Armature

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Prehistoric Modeler

Issues between Vertex Groups and Armature

Post by Prehistoric Modeler » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:40 pm

I'm more or less new to blender. So far, I've created three models, two in version 2.63, and one in version 2.64. The problem I've been having is with the model I made in version 2.64.

I learned from the previous version to assign vertex groups before parenting the model to the armature, being sure to match the names of the vertex groups exactly to the names of each corresponding bone. When I followed this approach in version 2.64, while it worked most of the time, there have been cases when certain bones either affected vertices that weren't assigned to them, or didn't even affect the vertices that were assigned to them.

I'm new to this forum, and I'm not seeing a way that I can upload the .blend file for reference. In the meantime, I'm assuming, since this is really the first time I've come across this problem, that it is a valid bug. Has it already been reported? Should I report it?

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:02 pm

you can upload .blend files here:
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/

you should read about vertex weights, something might be wrong there...
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

Prehistoric Modeler

Post by Prehistoric Modeler » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:33 pm

I have an update for you. Thanks to the advice, I was able to upload the .blend file, Arctodus-lp2. Then, afterwards, I had a closer look, and was able to find the source of the problems I'd been having.
  1. ToeClaw.Right.MidOuter: I found that, while I'd selected the vertices at the time, I hadn't assigned them.
  2. ToeClaw.Right.Middle: Instead of the second "." in the bone label, I had an "I".
  3. FingerClaw.Left.MidInner: In this case, it turns out that case sensitivity was the issue. In the bone name, I'd forgotten to capitalize the "C".
In conclusion, the problems I'd been having with bones not influencing their assigned vertices weren't with the version of blender after all. Assigning vertex groups before the parenting works just fine, as long as I'm extra careful with the labeling.

I do have one question, though. I've noticed that, without doing this kind of assigning, when I use the option "with empty groups" in parenting a model to an armature, some vertices were influenced by bones, even though they weren't assigned to them. Is that normal?