Some android tablets have a x86 processor. It can be ported?

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

nevro

Some android tablets have a x86 processor. It can be ported?

Post by nevro » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:38 am

Some android tablets have a x86 processor. Can Blender be ported on them?

p.s. I think, tablets with stylus is very useful tool for draft sculpt, modeling and scene creating. But I can't anything to do with myself, I don't like windows8 on tablets :(

stiv

Post by stiv » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:10 pm

Basic requirements for porting Blender to a new platform are

* video subsystem capable of OpenGL

* getting the various necessary libraries to run on that platform.

The Blender code itself should build anywhere GCC runs.

nevro

Post by nevro » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:44 pm

What do you mean: "video subsystem capable of OpenGL"? Atom and core are capable it. And what libraries it needs for running? Unfortunately I have just some skills in c++ and I not quite understand what exactly must be done, because I never to encounter with such complex systems. Somebody already solves these tasks? I would try to help too.

stiv

Post by stiv » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:22 pm

What do you mean: "video subsystem capable of OpenGL"?
Blender uses OpenGL for drawing anything on the screen - the user interface, rendered images, everything.

OpenGL is a library that provides an application with a standard interface for putting graphics on the screen. The OpenGL library talks to the graphics hardware via a video driver. Even with a decent processor and capable graphics hardware, you need a capable video driver.

A lot of users with AMD/ATI or Intel hardware have problems with Blender - not because the hardware lacks horsepower but because associated video driver does not do OpenGL well.

As for necessary libraries, there are a bunch of them, Python 3 probably being the most important.